ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2020 08:04:20 -0500
ICE Announcements 1.21.20
http://ice.uga.edu

1. Arts and STEM Creative Workshops
2. Art Party Extravaganza!!! (1/24)
3. Lecture: Larry Ossei-Mensah (1/28)
4. Reading Room: a2ru Newsletter
5. Opportunity: Willson Center Grants (deadline 2/17)
6. Opportunity: a2ru Ground Works (deadline 2/28)
7. Opportunity: Creative Capital Awards (deadline 2/29)
8. Opportunity: UGA Gamelan
---

1. Arts and STEM Creative Workshops

Are you interested in participating in graduate workshops featuring interdisciplinary dialogue, collaboration, and creative activities? Please help us plan future sessions with this quick survey:

https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4YrXVcIFDrKmnqJ
---

2. Art Party Extravaganza!!!
Friday, January 24 from 6 - 8 PM
Lamar Dodd School of Art Galleries

Join us as we celebrate our 2020 Faculty Exhibition featuring full-time professors and part-time instructors working at the Dodd! The party will include snacks and libations, personalized caricatures by Dodd MFA candidate, Luka Carter, button making in the art library, and live music by Random Acts Party Band. FREE and open to the public.
---

3. Lecture: Larry Ossei-Mensah (1/28)
Tuesday, January 28, 5:30 PM
Lamar Dodd School of Art Room S151

"The Rules of Engagement: How to Navigate the Art World in 2020 and Beyond"

Larry Ossei-Mensah uses contemporary art as a vehicle to redefine how we see ourselves and the world around us. The Ghanaian-American curator and cultural critic has organized exhibitions and programs at commercial and nonprofit spaces around the globe from New York City to Rome in addition to documenting cultural happenings featuring the most dynamic visual artists working today such as Derrick Adams, Mickalene Thomas, Njideka Akunyili Crosby, Federico Solmi, and Kehinde Wiley.

Ossei-Mensah is a contributor to the first ever Ghanaian Pavilion for the 2019 Venice Biennial with an essay on the work of visual artist Lynette Yiadom-Boakye.  Ossei-Mensah is also the recent recipient of the Warhol Foundation grant for $50K for his current exhibition at Museum of African Diaspora in San Francisco entitled Coffee, Rhum, Sugar, Gold: A Postcolonial Paradox co-curated with Dexter Wimberly. This Fall, Ossei-Mensah will be curating his second exhibition as the Susanne Feld Hilberry Senior Curator at MOCAD entitled Crossing Night: Regional Identities x Global Context  with Josh Ginsburg from the A4 Arts Foundation and Jova Lynne, Ford Curatorial Fellow at MOCAD.
---

4. Reading Room: a2ru Newsletter

a2ru newsletter sign up:
https://us6.campaign-archive.com/home/?u=ea16dd973bf53851f2a855957&id=2b38443631

The Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) advances the full range of arts-integrative research, curricula, programs, and creative practice to acknowledge, articulate, and expand the vital role of higher education in our global society. a2ru envisions a world in which universities -- students, faculty, and leaders -- acknowledge, deeply embed, and seamlessly integrate the arts in the pursuit of basic knowledge and in everyday practice.
---

5. Willson Center Grants

Deadline: February 17
https://willson.uga.edu/opportunities/fellowships-grants/willson-grants-awards/

The Willson Center Distinguished Artist or Lecturer program supports individual faculty or interdisciplinary groups in bringing leading thinkers and practitioners to campus in support of ongoing and innovative research projects. The program provides a $1,500 honorarium out of which the artist or lecturer pays his or her travel expenses. Distinguished artists and lecturers are nominated by the faculty and are selected by the Willson Center's Academic Advisory Board. Faculty are encouraged to conceive of this program as an opportunity to create broader impacts that include engagement with the student body, the public, the locality and state.
---

6. Call for Submissions: a2ru Ground Works
Priority date for submissions is February 28, 2020
http://groundworks.io

The Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) issues a call for submissions to its online peer-reviewed collection of interdisciplinary arts projects, Ground Works.

We welcome submissions that integrate research and practice in the fine, performing, and applied arts and design with other disciplines. We seek a wide range of interdisciplinary works that pose a challenge to traditional peer review methods by inviting examination from multiple disciplinary perspectives. Eligible projects have achieved some initial recognition; they may be collaborative or sole-author, but should demonstrably advance multiple fields within and beyond the arts.
---

7. Opportunity: Creative Capital Awards
https://creative-capital.org/award/about/

The next application for the Creative Capital Awards opens to artists in all disciplines February 1-29, 2020, and you can read and prepare for all the questions that we ask. Sign up for our newsletter to hear about upcoming open application periods, and info sessions about the Creative Capital Award.

Our pioneering venture philanthropy approach helps artists working in all creative disciplines realize their visions and build sustainable practices. Creative Capital provides each funded project with up to $50,000 in direct funding and career development services valued at $50,000, for a total commitment of up to $100,000 per project.
---

8. Opportunity: UGA Gamelan
http://www.chandranatha.org

Gamelan Chandra Natha is the Balinese gamelan ensemble at the University of Georgia's Hugh Hodgson School of Music.. The instruments were commissioned and built in Bali for the Hugh Hodgson School of music, and the ensemble was named by I Made Lasmawan. Participation is free and open to adults as well as kids grade 4 and up. UGA students can also take the class for credit (MUSI 4870 / 6870, Prof. Jean Kidula).
---

Ideas for Creative Exploration is an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at UGA, supported in part by the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, and the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.

ice.uga.edu
facebook.com/ideasforcreativeexploration

For more events and opportunities visit:

a2ru.org
art.uga.edu
arts.uga.edu
athica.org