ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Ideas for Creative Exploration <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2023 11:40:42 -0500
Webinar: Artists and Scholars Changing Culture, Creating Change
Thursday, February 23 at 3 PM
https://a2ru.org/event/artists-and-scholars-changing-culture-creating-change-findings-from-an-imagining-america-research-initiative/

*As an a2ru member institution, UGA students, faculty, and staff are eligible to attend*

We invite you to Part I of a two part webinar series, co-hosted by Imagining America and a2ru.

The words ‘culture change’ are commonly used by those who aim to hold academic institutions accountable to supporting and recognizing public artmaking and scholarship. But what does it actually mean?

In this first session Imagining America Faculty Director Erica Kohl-Arenas and National Advisory Board chair Kal Alston will share findings from their three year research project funded by the Mellon Foundation designed to answer this very question. Through case studies, over 100 national stakeholder interviews, and organizing institutes with leading thinkers and doers, the research revealed that the most lasting academic culture change is led by public, activist, and community engaged artists, scholars, students, and community based culture keepers themselves. These are the people that forge new spaces to radically expand how we understand research and creativity and to nurture a new generation of artists and scholars in public life. Join us to learn from our research findings and prepare to activate them in your own local contexts.

Registration is free, though attendance will be limited to 100 participants with priority given to faculty, staff and students from a2ru and Imagining America member institutions, as well as a2ru individual members.