ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2021 12:36:51 -0400
Ideas for Creative Exploration
October 2021
http://ice.uga.edu
---

1. Idea Lab Mini Grants
2. Idea Lab Conversation: Rent (10/15)
3. a2ru National Conference (11/3-5)
4. Activating the WE-Making Framework (10/5)
5. An Evening with Steve Dorff (10/6)
6. Free Supplies! (10/6 and 10/20)
7. Performance: Alcestis (begins 10/7)
8. Conversation: Alan Parks (10/7)
9. Athenaeum Events
10. Creative Capital Awards Info Session (10/8)
11. How the Humanities Can Save Humanity (10/13)
12. Artivate 360: Practicing Self Care (10/18)
13. SNAAP Research Symposium (10/20-22)
14. Lecture: Odili Donald Odita (10/21)
15. Opportunity: Willson Center Public Impact Grant (deadline 10/21)
16. Opportunity: CURO Research Assistantship (deadline 11/1)
17. Opportunity: ICC call for abstracts (deadline 11/5)
18. Opportunity: Campus Sustainability Grants (deadline 11/15)
---

1. Idea Lab Mini Grants
Call for Proposals
No deadline
http://ice.uga.edu/grants/

Idea Lab Mini Grants support creative interdisciplinary projects. Grant recipients are eligible to receive mentorship, feedback, and up to $500 in project funds. Collaborative teams may include participants from multiple communities and must include at least one student, faculty, or staff member from UGA. Proposals will be reviewed by an interdisciplinary selection committee in order of receipt, pending the availability of funds.

Proposal form:
https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eRjYNPOF1diC7EG

Proposal requirements:

- brief description of project goals (up to 150 words)

- names and project roles of collaborators

The Idea Lab Mini Grant Program is supported by Ideas for Creative Exploration, an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at UGA. Ideas for Creative Exploration is supported in part by the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, and the Graduate School.
---

2. Idea Lab Conversation: Rent
Friday, October 15 at noon
Main Art Building Outdoor Courtyard

Meet the director and cast members of UGA's production of Rent, Jonathan Larson's Pulitzer Prize-winning reimagining of Puccini's opera "La Boheme." Director Brandon LaReau is a doctoral student in Theatre and Film Studies and a former Graduate Assistant in Interdisciplinary Arts Research. Rent performances begin on November 4 and tickets are available at https://www.ugatheatre.com.
---

3. 2021 a2ru National Conference
Sharing Stories: The Case for Art
November 3 - 5
Online
https://a2ru.org/event/2021-a2ru-national-conference-sharing-stories-the-case-for-art/

*As an a2ru member institution, UGA will cover registration costs for a limited number of a2ru conference participants. If you are interested in attending please contact [log in to unmask] before registering.*

The Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) advances the full range of arts-integrative research, curricula, programs, and creative practice to acknowledge, articulate, and expand the vital role of higher education in our global society.

About the Conference

Over the last twelve months, we have seen a range of sources acknowledge the powerful importance of the arts, particularly in the Covid era. As arts practitioners and leaders, we embrace our role in this unprecedented moment, even as we continue to rethink our disciplines, how our methods have changed during this time, and what the future of the arts might look like.

a2ru will use this year's online conference to meet this unique moment in a uniquely artful way. We will engage and explore how we can best deploy what we hope has not changed -- our passion for the arts, for arts education, and for arts integration -- through storytelling, rather than traditional conference presentations.

Pre-Conference Workshop
Tuesday, November 2

Part I: Foundations of Equity

Justice in arts research, practice, and pedagogy must start with close examination of the foundations upon which arts institutions have been built. In part one of a two-part workshop series, we'll discuss reimagining arts spaces from the ground up; the contingency of justice-oriented practice; and building foundations for liberation in art making, arts research, and arts pedagogy.

Part II: Dismantling Critique

In part two of the two-part workshop, we interrogate how white supremacy and colonialism have shaped our systems for feedback and assessment, and build and share new strategies and tools for feedback and critique that are rooted in accountability, transparency, reciprocity, and justice.
---

4. Activating the WE-Making Framework: Using Arts and Culture to Unite People for Community Well-being
Tuesday, October 5 at 2 PM
https://ufl.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_TuwQFbsqReiY_ClEXLhzzA

Does your community use- or want to use- arts & cultural activities to work towards community well-being? Would you like to better articulate why/how it works? Seeking new tools to advance racial justice and COVID-19 recovery? Join us for a free zoom webinar to learn about WE-Making, a ground-breaking framework for how arts and culture unite people to work towards community well-being.
---

5. An Evening with Steve Dorff
Wednesday, October 6 at 7 PM
Ramsey Concert Hall
Reserve Free Ticket:
https://calendar.uga.edu/event/an_evening_with_steve_dorff

The University of Georgia Innovation Bootcamp brings together students, faculty, staff, and community musicians in a multi-week program to explore innovation and entrepreneurship in the music industry. In conjunction with this program, songwriter Steve Dorff will perform a concert of his music and answer questions about his career and the music industry. This performance is free and open to the public (tickets required). This performance is presented by the UGA Innovation District.
---

6. Free Supplies! Teacher Reuse Store Open House
Wednesday, October 6, 2-6:30 PM
Wednesday, October 20, 2-6:30pm
1005 College Ave, located within the CHaRM
https://www.accgov.com/trs

Every other Wednesday, the Teacher Reuse Store is open to community groups! Come check out our wide variety of salvaged and reclaimed supplies and materials: imagine a thrift store with an education bent and everything is totally FREE! Eligible groups include: students, artists, nonprofits, daycare facilities, after school programs & camps, social workers
---

7. Alcestis
MLC Outdoor Amphitheater
Tickets: https://www.ugatheatre.com

October 7 - 9 at 6 PM
October 12 - 15 at 6 PM
October 17 at 6 PM

Through the trickery of the god Apollo, King Ademetus is spared the fate of death -- but with a catch: someone must take his place. With no one willing to accept the sacrifice, his loyal wife Alcestis answers the call. What follows is a satirical tragicomedy that questions our relationship with life, death, and love from a uniquely modern perspective -- complete with appearances by the debauched demigod Herakles and the personification of Death itself. Utilizing digital masks and actor-driven technology, this original adaptation aims to breathe new life into Euripides' irreverent tale. By Euripides. An original adaptation by Gabrielle Compton, Taryn Nicole Spires, and Jeannie Thomas. Directed by David Saltz. Tickets: $16, $12 for Students.
---

8. Willson Center Director's Series: Alan Parks
Thursday, October 7 at 1 PM
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_raBejzdpQk2x1dZ5gNb-kg

Alan Parks, author of the Harry McCoy series of Glasgow noir mysteries, will take part in a conversation with Nicholas Allen, Professor in Humanities at UGA and director of the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts. The event is part of the Willson Center's Director's Series of conversations, curated by Allen.

Before beginning his writing career, Parks was creative director at London Records and Warner Music, where he marketed and managed artists including All Saints, New Order, The Streets, Gnarls Barkley, and Cee Lo Green. His love of music, musician lore, and even the industry, comes through in his prize-winning mysteries, which are saturated with the atmosphere of the 1970s music scene, grubby and drug-addled as it often was.
---

9. Athenaeum Events
287 West Broad Street

Lecture: Lisa Saltzman
Thursday, October 7 at 5:30 PM
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_E6Pk82bgQsOXtNM9KSK_5w

"Stories We Tell: Reflections on the Angel of History," Lisa Saltzman, chair and professor of history of art, Bryn Mawr College.

Lecture: Anthony Cross: The Ethics of Meme Culture
Wednesday, October 13 at 7 PM

Cross is a senior lecturer in the Department of Philosophy at Texas State University. His primary research interests are in aesthetics and ethics; his published research focuses on the normative significance of relationships with artworks and other cultural objects.

Roundtable Discussion: AI, Ethics, and Aesthetics
Wednesday, October 20 at 5:30 PM

A consortium of faculty from the University of Georgia will interrogate the relationship between artificial intelligence, aesthetics, and ethics. The discussion will focus largely on the possibility that AI, most notably in the form of machine-learning recommender systems, causes unintended aesthetic harms by degrading our aesthetic capacities and biasing our aesthetic choices.

Film Screening at Cine: Unseen Skies, Directed by Yaara Bou Melhme
Saturday, October 23 at noon
https://athenscine.com/movie/unseen-skies

Contemporary artist Trevor Paglen is known for his political and mind-blowing art pieces on global mass surveillance, data collection, and artificial intelligence. This visually stunning and immersive film follows Paglen as he travels through the desolate Nevada desert while discussing the motivation for his latest and most audacious project: launching a satellite into orbit.
---

10. Creative Capital Awards Info Session
Friday, October 8 at 1 PM
https://creative-capital.org/about-the-creative-capital-award/

Join the Creative Capital team for an information session about our 2023/2024 grant cycle: "Wild Futures: Art, Culture, Impact." We invite artists to propose experimental, risk-taking projects that push boundaries formally and thematically, and/or venture into wild, out-there, never-before-seen concepts and future universes real or imagined. Our 2023/2024 grant cycle is organized by disciplines. We will walk through the application process and answer questions afterwards. This session will be recorded and shared on our website.
---

11. How the Humanities Can Save Humanity: Resolving the Challenges of Climate Change, Public Health, and Racial Injustice
Wednesday, October 13 at 5 PM
https://howthehumanitiescansavehumanity.splashthat.com/MellonEventsPage

Nearly two years since Covid-19 first upended our lives, we are just beginning to emerge from the pandemic and must engage more deeply with other longstanding emergencies that our global community continues to face including addressing climate change, ensuring public health, and confronting racial injustice. Although government, industry, and the sciences are most strongly associated with mitigating these challenges, they cannot be solved without the insight of the arts and humanities. As we mark National Arts and Humanities Month, please join Elizabeth Alexander, President of The Mellon Foundation, for a wide-ranging discussion with artists Mel Chin and Allison Janae Hamilton and writer and photographer Emily Raboteau about how the humanities are tackling the most pressing social justice questions of our time.
---

12. Artivate 360: Practicing Self Care
Monday, October 18 at 1 PM
https://www.uncsa.edu/kenan/creative-catalyst-programs/creative-leaders/artivate-360/index.aspx

"Practicing Self Care" features dancers-turned-entrepreneurs Jenny Best and Rebekah Rotstein and internationally acclaimed yoga instructor and activist Jessamyn Stanley, who have each built successful businesses dedicated to promoting the health and well-being of their communities.
---

13. SNAAP Research Symposium
October 20 - 22
https://snaapsymposium.indiana.edu/index.html

The 2021 SNAAP Research Symposium will bring together researchers, administrators, faculty members, students, and policymakers to learn about recent research about the lives and careers of arts graduates using the rich SNAAP database. We hope the sessions will foster knowledge-exchange and expand the community of individuals utilizing SNAAP data.

The mission of the Strategic National Arts Alumni Project (SNAAP) is to maximize the success and impact of creatives in society by driving evidence-informed change in training and illuminating the value of arts and design education. Visit: https://snaaparts.org
---

14. Lecture: Odili Donald Odita
Thursday, October 21 at 5:30 PM
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYoc-CgqzstG9xnORWAX1eWeVLPm3anmi7x

Odili Donald Odita was born in Enugu, Nigeria and lives and works in Philadelphia. Odita
is an abstract painter exploring color both in the figurative historical context and in the
sociopolitical sense. He is best known for his large-scale canvases with kaleidoscopic patterns
and vibrant hues, which he uses to reflect the human condition. For Odita, color is at once a
distinct phenomenon and a vehicle for mirroring the complexity of the world.
---

15. Willson Center Public Impact Grant
Deadline: October 21
https://willson.uga.edu/opportunities/fellowships-grants/willson-grants-awards/

The Willson Center Public Impact Grant supports faculty in the organization on campus of conferences, exhibitions, and performances that showcase humanities and arts research in broad context. The Public Impact Grant is designed to offer interaction between national and international scholars and UGA faculty and students. The award provides support of up to $10,000. Faculty may apply for the Public Impact Grant in partnership with graduate students. Interdisciplinary projects are encouraged.
---

16. CURO Research Assistantship
Deadline: November 1
https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4HnF7PtW66Kzjtr.

The CURO Research Assistantship supports experiential learning opportunities that only a major research university can provide. Each year, as part of an initiative to enhance the UGA learning environment, the CURO Research Assistantship Program provides 500 stipends of $1,000 each to outstanding undergraduate students across campus to actively participate in faculty-mentored research.
---

17.  2022 Integrative Conservation Conference
Call for Abstracts
Deadline: November 5
https://integrativeconservationconference.weebly.com

Integrative Conservation Conference (ICC) Decolonizing Conservation Research and Practice invites presentations, workshops, and panels that address all aspects of conservation, with a particular emphasis on submissions that focus on decolonizing conservation. We recognize that addressing socioenvironmental crises in an uncertain future will require ongoing dialog within transparent, equitable partnerships. ICC aims to foster productive conversation about what it means to decolonize conservation and to create pathways for transformative, adaptive, and just conservation design and practice.

ICC 2022 welcomes presentations on any topic relevant to conservation from any number of perspectives, including but not limited to ecology, anthropology, forestry and natural resources, marine sciences, geography, environmental governance, or human wildlife interactions. This year, we are especially interested in presentations that focus on decolonizing conservation research and practice and foreground the voices and experiences of Indigenous peoples and other communities marginalized by historic and contemporary conservation approaches. Presentation formats include traditional 15-minute research talks, 5-minute speed talks, and posters.
---

18. UGA Campus Sustainability Grants
Deadline: November 15
https://sustainability.uga.edu/student-programs/sustainability-grants/

Drawn from the Student Green Fee, grants up to $5,000 are available to current UGA students who wish to initiate projects that advance sustainability through education, research, service, and campus operations. Successful projects will address UGA's strategic priorities and integrate social, environmental, and economic solutions to help ensure that all people can thrive, both now and in the future. Grants are awarded based on merit, positive impact, implementation feasibility, and available funding. Special consideration will be given to interdisciplinary projects that advance equity and incorporate the arts.
---

Ideas for Creative Exploration is an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at UGA, supported in part by the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, and the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.

ice.uga.edu
facebook.com/ideasforcreativeexploration

For more events and opportunities visit:

a2ru.org
art.uga.edu
arts.uga.edu
athica.org