ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
carmon colangelo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Inst. for Creative Exploration
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 11:12:31 -0700
ICE Colleagues:

Just to note to thank and congratulate everyone on a very successful
ICE Summit. I have received very positive feedback about Jaron
Lanier's lecture from across campus. It was certainly stimulating and
set a good foundation for the discussions. I think we had over 200
people in attendance that night at the Chapel; given that it was the
last week of class, I feel that was pretty terrific. It was clear that
we had a good mix of students and faculty from various disciplines
which was also rewarding and encouraging. Great thanks to David Saltz
for organizing Jaron's visit and working on so many of the ICE events.

The performances at the Dance studios were outstanding.
They provided a real strong example of the collaborative work and
performances both with technology and without. Many thanks go to Bala
Sarasvati, David Koffman, Molissa Fenley and Mark Coniglio and Dawn
Stoppiello of Troika Ranch for a great evening. the opening at Cedar
Street and visits to the drama, art and music studios were also very
satisfying. I know I learned a lot and appreciated the depth of
involvement and creative work by our students and faculty. Also, thanks
go to Scott and the New Media Institute for the coffee and intro to NMI.

Also, I want to thank everyone for a fruitful business meeting. I have
attached a summary of that discussion which provided some real
wonderful insights from Jim Kerkoff from the University of Texas at
Austin, Colin Follows from Liverpool John Moores University, Phil
Auslander from Georgia Tech, Christina Yang from the Kitchen in New
York, Steve Murakishi from Cranbrook Art Academy, Mark Coniglio and
Dawn  Stoppiello of Troika Ranch as well as the rest of you. I will
soon send a breif summary.

At this time I am really just catching my breath, as I am sure you are
with year end stuff. Soon the semester will be over and maybe you can
get a little rest. However, I have one more ICE opportunity next week.
As you know Ben Davis was scheduled to visit but the dates did not
work. However, I have invited Ben Davis to come to campus May 7th and
8th as an ICE consultant because of his breadth of experience. I would
like him to get a feel for the program in the morning and will have an
open forum with him set up the morning of the 7th at the School of Art.
I will let you know the time and format very soon. I will also see if
his schedule will allow some visits to your various studio areas and I
have him scheduled to meet with the Dean's office and representatives
from the Provost's office as well on that day.

BenŐs career spans 25 years. He is an accomplished artist, teacher,
research scientist in the realm of digital publications, research and
development areas. BenŐs career includes research and teaching
positions at Razorfish, the Getty Museum, Los Angeles, California,
National Air and Space Museum, Washington, DC, Metropolitan Museum of
Art, MIT  Center for Advanced Visual Studies and the  MIT Media-Lab,
Smithsonian  and the Atlanta College of Art.  BenŐs
interests include the development of new forms of art and materials and
the social/cultural issues surrounding digital technologies, from the
creation and preservation of digital art forms to the social and
economic impacts. He is conversant about a wide range of topics,
technologically sophisticated and very well connected to the academic
art world, museums, foundations and new media corporate environment. He
has been a consultant and lecturer as well as most recently a Senior
Scientist and Strategic Development Director, Media and Entertainment,
Razorfish, Inc., Los Angeles, CA.
http://www.mit.edu/people/davis/resume.html

Once again, thank you for all your great work and contribution to the
success of the ICE Summit.

Sincerely Carmon

Carmon Colangelo, Director
Lamar Dodd School of Art