ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2021 08:48:11 -0400
Ideas for Creative Exploration
September 2021
http://ice.uga.edu
---

1. Idea Lab Mini Grants
2. Fostering Creativity: Arts + Wellness (9/10)
3. Reading Room: Musically Cogitating
4. Athens Poet Laureate Jeff Fallis
5. Lecture: Kota Ezawa (9/7)
6. Lecture: Nicole Eisenman (9/9)
7. Lecture: Cynthia Barnett (9/9)
8. Trevor Paglen Events (9/9 and 9/20)
9. Darrel Morrison Events (9/13-16)
10. Lecture: Phillip Carroll Morgan (9/23)
11. Lecture: Siebren Versteeg (9/27)
12. Seminar: Christine J. Cuomo (9/28)
13. ATHICA Exhibition Events (until 10/3)
14. Opportunity: Creative Capital list
15. Opportunity: Executable Poetry CFP (deadline 9/8)
16. Opportunity: Get Artistic DIY Fund (deadline 9/12)
17. Opportunity: Entrepreneurship for Musicians (deadline 9/15)
18. Opportunity: a2ru National Conference CFP (deadline 9/17)
19. BIPOC Design History (new sessions begin 9/17)
20. Opportunity: Arts Lab Fellowships (deadline 9/30)
---

1. Idea Lab Mini Grants
Call for Proposals
No deadline
http://ice.uga.edu/grants/

Idea Lab, a UGA student organization dedicated to fostering interdisciplinary creative collaboration, is offering up grants up to $500 each to support projects and team formation. Recipients of Idea Lab mini grants will receive mentorship and feedback from Idea Lab members. Proposals will be reviewed by an interdisciplinary selection committee in order of receipt, pending availability of funds.

Proposal requirements:

- brief description of project goals (up to 150 words)
- team should include at least one currently enrolled UGA student

The Idea Lab Mini Grant Program is supported by Ideas for Creative Exploration, an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at UGA. Ideas for Creative Exploration is supported in part by the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, and the Graduate School.
---

2. Fostering Creativity: Arts + Wellness
Friday, September 10 at noon
Main Art Building Outdoor Courtyard

At this interactive conversation, Elizabeth Boyce will be sharing her research on mind and body wellness and the path she took to deepening her own creative practice through self-healing. Come learn more about these practices, engage in experiential activities, and connect with other humans!
---

3. Reading Room: Musically Cogitating Career Exploration Series
https://www.musicallycogitating.com

Musically Cogitating is a show about the relevance and importance of living music and how it impacts our everyday lives. Ciyadh Wells (former Graduate Assistant in Interdisciplinary Arts Research at UGA) explores artist careers in consulting, teaching, performing, and administration.
---

4. Athens Poet Laureate Jeff Fallis
https://www.athensculturalaffairs.org/acac-poet-laureate-announced/

Congratulations to Athens GA's first poet laureate! Jeff Fallis also contributed work to AUX Vol. 2, a collection of experimental sound featuring artists from Athens, GA and beyond. Curated by Heather McIntosh in an edition of 250 CDs and posters designed by Joshua Ray Stephens and hand printed by David Savino. It includes 17 previously unreleased audio tracks and an original poem by Jeff Fallis. http://ice.uga.edu/aux/

The Athens Cultural Affairs Commission (ACAC) views the Poet Laureate position as a means to further enhance the profile of poets, poetry, and literary arts in our community and beyond. Fallis will bring poetry to segments of our community that have less access or exposure to poetry: senior citizens, at-risk youth and more. The Poet Laureate will make several guest appearances during his two-year term, promoting poetry throughout the community. His first appearance will be Saturday, September 25th in the Athens-Clarke County Leisure Services Department's Pop Up Park at the Red Cross Community Safe Cookout at Highland Greens Mobile Home Park at 950 Danielsville Road.
---

5. Lecture: Kota Ezawa
Tuesday, September 7 at 5:30 PM
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN__dh5mLB9RP-lDAiMM28kSg

Kota Ezawa is best known for his light boxes and animations that combine found images, video and film to comment on contemporary culture, appropriation and historical events. This program will focus on the exhibition "Kota Ezawa: The Crime of Art," part of a series that chronicles some of the most infamous museum heists in history. At the heart of this exhibition is a series of images that pays homage to the 13 works -- including those by Degas, Manet, Rembrandt and Vermeer -- stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in 1990.
---

6. Lecture: Nicole Eisenman
Thursday, September 9 at 5:30 PM
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0tdeuuqT0rHNFtnN-HgYRvkD743SAA2xK5

Nicole Eisenman lives and works in Brooklyn, New York. They are a MacArthur Foundation fellow and were inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Letters in 2018. Their work was included in both the 2019 Venice Biennale and the 2019 Whitney Biennial. Recent solo exhibitions include Giant without a Body at the Astrup Fearnley Museet, Oslo; Strum und Drang at The Contemporary Austin Texas; Baden Baden Baden, at the Staatliche Kunsthalle in Baden-Baden, Germany, Dark Light, Susanne Vielmetter Los Angeles Projects; Dark Light, Secession, Vienna, Austria; and Al-ugh-ories, New Museum, New York.. Having established themselves as a painter, Nicole has expanded their practice into the third dimension.
---

7. Willson Center Director's Series: Cynthia Barnett
Thursday, September 9 at 1 PM
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_XfQOokHrSJaW7NaNk6hXvw

Cynthia Barnett, Environmental Journalist in Residence at the University of Florida's College of Journalism and Communications in Gainesville, Florida, will take part in a conversation with Nicholas Allen, Professor in Humanities at UGA and director of the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts. The event is part of the Willson Center's Director's Series of conversations, curated by Allen.

Barnett is an award-winning environmental journalist who has reported on water and climate change around the world. Her new book, The Sound of the Sea: Seashells and the Fate of the Oceans (W. W. Norton, July 2021), is a natural and cultural history of seashells and the animals that make them -- revealing what they have to tell us about nature, our changing oceans, and ourselves.

Barnett is also the author of Rain: A Natural and Cultural History, longlisted for the National Book Award and a finalist for the 2016 PEN/E.O. Wilson Literary Science Writing Award; Blue Revolution: Unmaking America's Water Crisis, which articulates a water ethic for America; and Mirage: Florida and the Vanishing Water of the Eastern U.S. She has written for National Geographic, The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Wall Street Journal, The Atlantic, and many other publications.
---

8. Trevor Paglen Events

Opening Reception
Thursday, September 9 from 6 - 9 PM
The Athenaeum (287 W. Broad St.)
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/trevor-paglen-vision-after-seeing-exhibition-reception-tickets-168637221469

Join us in celebrating the official opening of The Athenaeum, UGA's newest contemporary art space located at 287 West Broad Street. The exhibition, "Trevor Paglen: Vision After Seeing",  features a series of primarily large-scale landscape photographs and video by the innovative artist who uses contemporary technology to deftly interrogate ways of seeing in the 21st century. The New York Times calls Paglen one of our "foremost artists drawing attention to the power and ubiquity of surveillance technology."

Artist Talk: Trevor Paglen in Conversation with Marni Shindelman & Dr. Isabelle Wallace
Monday, September 20 at 5:30 PM
The Athenaeum (287 W. Broad St.)

Trevor Paglen acted as the 2019-2020 Dodd Professorial Chair at UGA, a short-term appointment of high distinction intended to honor artists of international standing who have achieved an extraordinary record of exhibition. Artists selected for this position teach and work at the Dodd and hold the rank of full professor. While in residence at the Dodd, Paglen co-taught Human Geography with Associate Professor in Photography, Marni Shindelman ,and Vision: a Prismatic Approach with Interim Co-Director of the Lamar Dodd School of Art and Associate Professor of Contemporary Art, Dr. Isabelle Wallace. In this conversation, Paglen, Shindelman, and Wallace will discuss the themes integral to these courses--migration crisis, environmental pollution, classical myths, surveillance, and machine vision--and the ways in which they inform their individual research.
---

9. Darrel Morrison Events

Designed Landscapes Inspired by Native Plant Communities
Tuesday, September 14 at 5:30 PM
Hybrid event
Jackson Street Building, 125
https://uga-ced.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_SPT_qbb0TcSdTor-QYGcIQ

Darrel Morrison, CED dean (1983-1991) and Professor Emeritus, influenced countless students by focusing on native plants, merging art with ecology, and prioritizing ecology-based design and management. After retirement in 2005, he taught part-time at Columbia University, Rutgers University, and the New York Botanical Garden.

Book Release: "Beauty of the Wild"
Wednesday, September 15 from 4:30pm to 5:30pm
Jackson Street Building, Circle Gallery

A talk and book-signing with Darrel Morrison. Books will be available for purchase.
---

10. Lecture: Phillip Carroll Morgan
Thursday, September 23 at 4:30 PM
Georgia Museum of Art

Writer Phillip Carroll Morgan (Choctaw/Chickasaw) is the featured speaker for the 7th annual American Indian Returnings (AIR) lecture. Each year on the Autumnal Equinox, the AIR series celebrates the return of Natives to the southeast through the work of artists, writers, and scholars. Southeastern American Indian communities were removed from their homelands in the 1830s. The AIR series is sponsored by Eidson Chair in American Literature LeAnne Howe and the Eidson Foundational Fund in the department of English, the Creative Writing Program, associate professor Channette Romero, and professor Jace Weaver.

Morgan is an award-winning author of three Chickasaw Press titles: Chickasaw Renaissance and Riding Out the Storm: 19th Century Chickasaw Governors and Their Intellectual Legacy, and co-author of Dynamic Chickasaw Women. Anompolichi: The Wordmaster is Morgan's first novel for White Dog Press. Dynamic Chickasaw Women won the Independent Publishers Book Awards' Gold Medal for Mid-West Regional non-fiction in 2012, and Riding Out the Storm won the Gold Medal in that category in 2014. Poetry by Morgan appears in The Fork-in-the-Road Indian Poetry Store, which won the Native Writers Circle of the Americas First Book Award for Poetry in 2002. He also co-authored Reasoning Together: The Native Critics Collective, a conversation between leading experts in Native American literature. He holds a master's degree and a doctorate in Native American literature from the University of Oklahoma.
---

11. Lecture: Siebren Versteeg
The Athenaeum (287 W. Broad St.)
Monday, September 27 at 5:30 PM

New York-based digital artist Siebren Versteeg will discuss his work in relation to new technologies and contemporary art. From the origins of the web, to Web 2.0, to NFTs and blockchain, Versteeg's practice continues to respond and meddle with the burgeoning media forms that reshape our connections to art, value, and truth. He will address this work as it relates to ongoing interests in algorithmic computation, painterly abstraction, and doom scrolling. Versteeg was born in 1971 in New Haven, CT. He received his MFA from The University of Illinois at Chicago. He has exhibited nationally and internationally. Recent exhibitions include Bitforms, New York, NY; Minnesota Street Projects, San Francisco, CA; Art Vault, Santa Fe, NM; Sharjah Art Foundation, Dubai, United Arab Emirates; and Andrew Racfacz, Chicago, IL. His work is included in several collections such as the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Marguilies Collection at the WAREhOUSE, Miami; Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, NY; Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, IL; Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington, DC.; Yale Art Gallery, New Haven, CT; and the Guggenheim, New York, NY.
---

12. Seminar: Christine J. Cuomo
Tuesday, September 28 at 5:30 PM
Jackson Street Building, 125
Virtual registration at ced.uga.edu/lectures
Hybrid event

"Environmental Leadership: Hope, Women Workers, and Small Business on the Gulf of Gonave," Christine J. Cuomo, professor of philosophy and women's studies and affiliate faculty member of the Environmental Ethics Certificate Program, the Institute for African-American Studies, the Institute for Native American Studies, and the UGA Initiative for Climate and Society.
---

13. ATHICA LIGHT: 2021 Juried Exhibition
Until October 3
https://athica.org/updates/light-2021-juried-exhibition/
LIGHT: 2021 Juried Exhibition

Streaming Curator and Artist Roundtable
Wednesday, September 22
Register online

Juror Portfolio Review Sessions
Saturday, October 2
Register online

Featuring contemporary art in all media that explores or references LIGHT, which is found all around us, around our planet, and throughout art, nature, literature, science, society, and language as a concept and a construct with many different connotations. Without light there is no color and art would not exist. Work was juried by guest juror Matt Porter, Curator at the Morris Museum of Art in Augusta, Georgia.
---

14. Creative Capital Opportunities List
https://creative-capital.org/2021/08/30/artist-opportunities-with-upcoming-deadlines-in-september-and-october-2021/

Each month, we compile a list of residencies, grants, and open calls for artists working in all disciplines. This month's list includes a $50,000 grant for organizations that use arts and culture based practices to aid projects that intersect climate and racial justice work, an Alaska residency for women writers, and a $20,000 fellowship for artists to support craft practices. Creative Capital is a nonprofit organization that has awarded more than $50 million to artists for the creation of groundbreaking new work in the visual arts, performing arts, literature, film, technology, and multidisciplinary practices, including socially-engaged work in all forms. We also provide professional development programs, networking opportunities, and educational resources for arts communities around the world.
---

15. Rhizome ArtBase Open Call: Executable Poetry
Deadline: September 8
https://rhizome.org/editorial/2021/aug/24/artbase-open-call-executable-poetry/

Rhizome is pleased to announce the first open call for artworks to be considered for accession to the newly revamped Rhizome ArtBase. Rhizome will run a series of themed open calls for artwork submissions to the ArtBase. The first theme is Executable Poetry, for which we invite submissions from artists who explore computation as a tool for poetic composition or decomposition. Accepted artworks could include generative writing, expressive bots, poetic re-interpretations of computer code, hypertext poems, or data-driven poetry.
---

16. Get Artistic DIY Fund
Deadline: September 12
https://getcurious.com/get-artistic/diy/

The Get Artistic DIY Fund exists to spotlight and empower emerging artists as future leaders. From August 20 to September 12, artists can apply for $2,000 in funding to support collaborative, community-based projects in Athens. Six finalists will receive $250 stipends to participate in the DIY Fair on October 6 at the Creature Comforts taproom in downtown Athens.
---

17. Innovation Bootcamp: Entrepreneurship for Musicians
Deadline: September 15
https://research.uga.edu/gateway/bootcamp/upcoming-cohorts/

Bringing together students, faculty, staff, and community musicians in a multi-week program to explore innovation and entrepreneurship in the music industry. To maximize the cohort experience, it is important to complete all sessions. The schedule below includes a mixture of learning sessions, group project time, and one-on-one coaching. The core learning sessions will be held at the new Innovation Hub at 210 Spring Street. Participants should be prepared to spend 4-5 hours total per week in the program. Please review the schedule prior to applying to ensure you can participate for the entire program.
---

18. 2021 a2ru National Conference: Sharing Stories: The Case for Art
https://a2ru.org/event/2021-a2ru-national-conference-sharing-stories-the-case-for-art/

Over the last twelve months, we have seen a range of sources acknowledge the powerful importance of the arts, particularly in the Covid era. As arts practitioners and leaders, we embrace our role in this unprecedented moment, even as we continue to rethink our disciplines, how our methods have changed during this time, and what the future of the arts might look like. The Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) will use this year's online conference to meet this unique moment in a uniquely artful way. We will engage and explore how we can best deploy what we hope has not changed -- our passion for the arts, for arts education, and for arts integration -- through storytelling, rather than traditional conference presentations.

Call for Participants
Deadline: September 17
https://a2ru.org/event/2021-a2ru-national-conference-sharing-stories-the-case-for-art/#Active-Calls-for-Participants

Steps Toward Change
Student Voices Panel
Telling the BIPOC Story: Artivism During COVID-19

a2ru seeks participants for its second Student Voices panel, "Telling the BIPOC Story: Artivism During COVID-19." The racial and economic inequalities of our education system were laid bare as students moved out of campus classrooms and into the differently resourced spaces that came to house their virtual classrooms during the height of the pandemic. At the same time, BIPOC communities were disproportionately affected by both the pandemic and police violence. With communities needing a way to express themselves, protests, vigils, retaliation, and then more protests became a regular occurrence in many cities and a mainstay on all media outlets.

This year's panel asks our students the questions: Amidst the disruption of your space and the rise in opportunities for activism, what role did art play in your life? Would you have described yourself as an activist prior to the pandemic? How about now? How has your relationship to arts and activism -- artivism -- changed as our country has grappled with the racial and economic inequalities that have always existed in our society, and that have been made more evident by COVID-19? Do you see a place for artivism in your university? How might you integrate your artivism into your academic work?

Pedagogy Roundtable
Rewriting the Story: Practical Strategies for an Anti-racist Classroom

During last year's Art for Politics' Sake roundtable, our discussants examined the role art, art research, and art education can play in eradicating racism. This year, we hope to continue and build on the theoretical groundwork established in their discussion by exploring concrete examples of putting anti-racist principles into practice in the classroom. For this roundtable, we invite instructors and researchers interested in discussing the anti-racist practices and/or diversity initiatives they already have or plan to implement in their classrooms, practicums, labs, etc. to share their ideas with the a2ru community.
---

19. BIPOC Design History continues this fall with "Incomplete Latinx Stories of Diseno Grafico." Through live and asynchronous lectures, readings, and discussions, the class sheds light on moments of oppression and visibility. The series revisits and rewrites the course of design history in a way that centers previously marginalized  designers, cultural figures -- and particularly BIPOC and QTPOC people.

Incomplete Latinx Stories of Diseno Grafico
https://bipocdesignhistory.com/Latinx-Overview
Begins September 17

Incomplete Latinx Stories of Diseno Grafico centers the work and histories of art and design in Latin America. From a Latinx diasporic perspective, we look at the pluralistic work that comes out of the diverse cosmologies, perspectives, and points of view from the continent -- inspired in part by Gloria Anzaldua's seminal Borderlands/ La Frontera.

Black Design in America
https://bipocdesignhistory.com/Black-Design-History
Class recordings

Black Design in America was the first in a series of BIPOC Centered design history courses facilitated by Polymode. The classes include the ancient origins of African alphabets, innovative mathematics in African architecture, systemic racism of the transatlantic slave trade, W.E.B. Du Bois's innovative information diagrams in 1900, the aesthetics of Eugenics and its science of racial profiling, the Harlem Renaissance and other queer Blackness, the Tuskegee Syphilis Study that exploited vulnerable veterans supervised by the U.S. Public Health Service, the grassroots network of Victor Hugo Green's Motorists books, Blues Modernism, the rise of hip hop's graphic language, urgent protest graphics of Black Lives Matter movement, and the 21st century data activism of the collective Data for Black Lives.
---

20. Arts Lab Faculty Fellowships
Deadline: September 30
https://willson.uga.edu/opportunities/fellowships-grants/willson-grants-awards/

Following the report of the UGA Task Force on Arts Research and Practice, an Arts Lab Cluster has been formed to support creativity across the university. As part of this, six Arts Lab Faculty Fellowships are available for faculty in the performing or creative arts for academic year 2022-2023. Funding for this round of Arts Lab Faculty Fellowships is provided by the Office of the Provost, and the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.

Arts Lab Faculty Fellowships are designed for faculty members in the performing or creative arts to develop practice, research and curriculum in the arts. Support comprises one course release, and support funds up to $2000. Funds for arts instructional faculty who cannot commit to a semester away from instruction, but have need of a shorter period of study, practice, or research, can be considered by the selection committee.
---

Ideas for Creative Exploration is an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at UGA, supported in part by the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, and the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.

ice.uga.edu
facebook.com/ideasforcreativeexploration

For more events and opportunities visit:

a2ru.org
art.uga.edu
arts.uga.edu
athica.org