ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
carmon colangelo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Inst. for Creative Exploration
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:02:16 -0500
Dear ICE Advisory Board Members:

Thank you to all of you who participated in the ICE retreat at the
alumni club in Atlanta this past Friday Feb. 16, 2001. I feel it was a
very productive meeting and a very enjoyable one as well.

For those of you unable to attend we missed you and I encourage you to
talk to your colleagues about some of the details of the discussion. I
didn't take minutes per say, but here are some of the highlights along
with some cut and paste updates. I know long e-mails are a drag but I
thought I'd get this out before a busy week. Others may want to add
important details or make other editorial remarks.

ICE RETREAT AGENDA
February 16, 2001

10: 00  Welcome- I went over the agenda ( with Bill Viola in the
background ) and encouraged the group to work towards the final proposal
and to start planning for 2001-02 and 2002-03. A request for continued
funding was submitted to Dean Anderson and Hugh Ruppersburg, who
confirmed it was in the College Request for FY 02. Hopefully, the Lower
floor of Tanner will be vacant this summer and ready for ICE so
renovations can occur this upcoming year to give ICE a home base.I
encouraged planning for ICE collaborative courses for the spring of
2002.

10:20 Planning - David Koffman passed a DRAFT document he prepared
for the mtg., that was discussed in detail. ( e-mail David for a copy)
Lots of lively discussion resulted about the mission, objectives,
goals, structure, faculty lines and budget were discussed. Revisions
will be made. David will work with a smaller writing sub-committee to
make revisions to present the document by the end of March early April.
The DRAFT document will be shared with faculty in the fine arts ( art,
creative writing, drama, dance, and music ) before a general fine arts
meeting is called to discuss ICE.

2:30 Carl Martin reported on the Web site designer Damien Schaefer
of Mintworks. The estimated cost is somewhere between $10-17,000 to
develop the ICE identity and site. It was decided that the timeline be
extended through the summer if needed to assure the appropriate
interaction and collaboration with ICE members. This would also allow
time to develop the content. The notion of the site being used as part
of the ICE proposal was suggested as was the idea of launching it  in
the fall for maximum exposure. Questions of launching prior to
regents approval was raised.

There are some abbreviated notes from Damien Schaefer of Mintworks
that Carl passed out with some web addresses to check out at the end of
this document.(Appendix A: )

2:45 Summit Plans- David Saltz led the discussion about the ICE summit schedule
for   April 25-27, 2001. Briefly, the summit will bring together
artists, performers, musicians, students and arts leaders who are
involved in collaborative art forms that are pushing traditional
boundaries. The summit will consist of guest speakers, panels, special
events, performances and I.C.E planning sessions with potential
partnering programs.

The Athens Downtown Development Authority is very eager to collaborate
 with us on this event, and has offered to publicize the panel and
rental space downtown for it. This collaborative venture will not only
help lend visibility to I.C.E. (one of the key goals for the summit),
but will reinforce what we hope will become a vital relationship
between I.C.E. and the larger Athens community.

A number of guests have already accepted our invitation to participate,
including Mark Coniglio and Dawn Stoppiello of Troika Ranch (pioneers
of interactive dance and performance), Elise Bernardt, (The Kitchen),
Colin Fallows ( John Moores University , Liverpool ) Molissa Fenly (
Guest Artist in Dance) Ben Davis (Razerfish), Diana Gromala (Georgia
Tech), Steve Murakishi ( Cranbrook Art Academy ). Other suggestions
were welcomed.

Unfortunately, George Lewis (renowned jazz and interactive computer
musician), Peter Lunenfeld (new media critic), Jeffrey Shaw (ZKM
Center, Karlsruhe Germany) who were all invited and interested, were
unable to participate this year.

However, the group agreed to have David Saltz approach JARON LANIER to
be the special keynote speaker. Jaron Lanier is a computer scientist,
composer, visual artist, and author. Currently, Lanier serves as the
Lead Scientist of the National Tele-immersion Initiative, a coalition
of research universities studying advanced applications forInternet 2.
The Initiative demonstrated the first prototypes of tele-immersion in
2000 after a three year development period. His current tele-immersion-
relatedresearch interests include real time, remote, terascale
processing, autostereo methods, haptics, and software simulation
integration and reusability.

Lanier is probably best known for his work in Virtual Reality. He
coined the term ÔVirtual RealityÕ. In the early 1980s he co-developed
the first glove device for virtual world interaction and was the first
to study full hand interactions with virtual objects. In the late 1980s
he lead the team that developed the first
implementations of multi-person virtual worlds using head
mounted displays, for both local and wide area networks, as well as the
first "avatars", or representations of users within such systems. He
co-developed the first implementations of virtual reality applications
in surgical simulation, vehicle interior prototyping, and assorted
other areas.

Here is  the tentative schedule of the SUMMIT:

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 25

Evening. keynote address by JARON LANIER. GMOA or Ramsey Auditorium
( Tentative )

GMOA Collaborative: Stephen Corey, Georgia Review; Lamar Wood of
UGA,School of Art; and Jeff Gundy  (poet/essayist/guitarist ) of
Bluffton College in Ohio.

 THURSDAY, APRIL 26

Morning. Visitors tour arts facilities throughout campus (i.e.
music, art, drama, dance) and meet with a cross-section of our students
and faculty.

Afternoon. Visitors give presentations about their own organizations
 and/or work. Schedule published in advance. Open to public.
(Space for 30-50 people.)

Evening. Performance by
Molissa Fenley (guest artist in Dance)
Troika RanchDance Building,

FRIDAY, APRIL 27

Morning. Working sessions with members of I.C.E. committee and visitors to
brainstorm future directions for I.C.E. and begin to forge collaborations
with outside organizations.

3:30pm. Panel Discussion: "COLLABORATIONS: ARTS, TECHNOLOGIES,
CULTURES." ( TBA ) Reception to follow.

Public event in downtown venue (possibly the Morton Theatre) publicized
jointly with the Athens Downtown Development Authority.

Evening. Festivities downtown related to the Twilight Criterium Bike
Race. (The race itself takes place Saturday night.)

4:30 adjourned

Appendix A:

MINTWORKS:

DEVELOPMENT OF IDENTITY:

We are not only developing a look for the site and building the site, we
are developing the complete identity for ICE.  This is perhaps the most
important part of the project.  From experience, identity development is
a very time intensive process and can become a total nightmare because
of its pivotal nature.  This process is key to establishing ICE's brand,
and I do not consider it a small part of the puzzle.

CONSIDERATIONS:

ICE wants to draw national/worldwide attention to the University as a
trend setting, innovative program.  All of this has to come through in
its site design. The site needs to stand out from the rest, and not just
be an educational institution website that gets lost in the sea of other
sites out there.  We need to have designers, internet savvy viewers,
prospective patrons of the program, and the internet community in
general, going to the site to get information.  The site needs to make
people want to be involved. The best way to do this is to develop a site
that goes beyond what a conventional informational website does, and
generates hype due to its design and innovative use of the medium.
ICEÕs website should be more than just an informational site anyway.  It
should become an integral part of the program in itself, by being the
program's forum for new innovative uses of internet technology, in
addition to being a mode of display for the wide range of additional
disciplines it encompasses. This means utilizing the latest technologies
available on the internet.

SITES WE HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN:

You can see a good bit of our work at the following URLs.

http://www.mintwork.com- Online portfolio for most of our work.
http://www.remhq.com- recently completed site for the band R.E.M.
http://www.apt13.com- portfolio site for one of our designers.
http://www.priorityrecords.com- Record label site.

LIST OF REFERENCE SITES:

These sites are in the list not necessarily for their intuitive nature,
but for their use of technology, and for their looks.  I have included a
short blurb about each.

http://www.volumeone.com- solid progressive design and look.  Excellent
use of Flash 4, with artistic imagery and motion design.

http://www.nasa20.com - Innovative Navigation design, progressive look,
strong use of Flash 5 throughout.

http://www.praystation.com- Flash 5 actionscripting tour de-force.

http://www.com-ebusiness.de- Interesting navigation and great motion
design.

http://www.chaotic.co.uk- Uses Cascading Style Sheets, JavaScript, and
Dynamic Html for its scrollable windows.

http://www.automaticfive.com- Interesting progressive look, simple
layout, and uses Cascading Style Sheets, JavaScript, and Dynamic Html
for its scrollable windows.

http://www.cisma.com.br/index2.html- Innovative use of Flash and sound
design, along with a small bit of character animation.

Carmon Colangelo, Director
Lamar Dodd School of Art
University of Georgia
Visual Arts Building