ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 2020 13:10:01 -0400
ICE Announcements 9.28.20
http://ice.uga.edu

1. Idea Lab Conversation: Arts + Sustainability (10/9)
2. a2ru National Conference (Registration for 10/15-30)
3. Arts+STEM Graduate Workshops
4. ACAC Letter for UGA Task Force on Race, Ethnicity, and Community
5. Opportunity: UGA Teaming for Interdisciplinary Research (begins 10/1)
6. Reading Room: Creative Workforce Proposal
7. Lecture: Tony Cokes (9/28)
8. Artists for Democracy: Kandis Williams (9/29)
9. Creative Capital: Access in Content and Form (10/1)
10. Rhizome 7x7 (begins 10/5)
11. Symposium: Gender, the Body, and Fieldwork Across Disciplines (10/15-17)
12. Opportunity: Innovation District Quick Pitch (deadline 9/30)
13. Opportunity: Campus Sustainability Grants (deadline 11/16)
14. Opportunity: Capturing Science Contest (deadline 12/7)
15. Opportunity: Elevate: Minority Student Film Festival (deadline 3/1/21)
---

1. Idea Lab Conversation: Arts + Sustainability
Friday, October 9 at 3 PM
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIpcOqvrDovEtDkUJpxVqBeHjKpgvZ9b6q_

How do creative communities develop more sustainable approaches to materials? Join Abigail West, artist, activist, and recent Creature Comforts artist-in-residence for an informal conversation about reclamation and creative reuse in businesses, makerspaces, and artist studios. Free and open to the public via Zoom.
---

2. a2ru National Conference: Land and Equity
Begins October 15, 2020
www.a2ru.org/events/2020-a2ru-annual-meeting/

***As an a2ru partner institution, UGA will cover registration costs for a limited number of a2ru conference participants. If you are interested in attending please contact [log in to unmask] before registering.***

The Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) invites you to the 2020 a2ru national conference, Land and Equity: The Art and Politics of Place, to be held online and hosted by the University of Wisconsin - Madison, October 15-30, 2020. All sessions will be held via Zoom. The a2ru National Conference is an opportunity for practitioners and researchers from across the higher education spectrum to share innovations and perspectives in the arts.

The 2020 theme, Land & Equity, considers how our work as artistic, scientific, and humanist researchers and educators is defined by the land on which we find ourselves, and asks who has access to that land and its resources? In turn, we will examine how our art, research, and teaching impacts the places and spaces in which we live and work, and discuss ways that we can use that work to advance more equitable access.

This year's conference features special registration pricing for this virtual experience. Attendees will also have the option to register for an unlimited session pass or for individual sessions or keynote presentations.

a2ru advances the full range of arts and design-integrative research, curricula, programs, and creative practice from across the disciplines in order to acknowledge, articulate, and expand the vital role of higher education in our global society. a2ru's work, in partnership with more than 35 research institutions, envisions a world in which universities -- students, faculty, and leaders -- explore, embed, and integrate the arts in everyday practice and research. The a2ru National Conference is an opportunity for practitioners and researchers from across the higher education spectrum to share innovations and perspectives in the arts.
---

3. Arts+STEM Graduate Workshops: Creativity, Collaboration, and Environmental Problem Framing

If you are interested in participating in physically distanced and/or online workshops for Fall 2020, or future workshop offerings, please complete this brief survey: http://bit.ly/gradwrkshp

For more information visit: http://cicr.uga.edu/creativity/
---

4. Public Art Recommendations for the UGA Presidential Task Force on Race, Ethnicity, and Community from the Athens Cultural Affairs Commission: An Open Letter

https://www.athensculturalaffairs.org/public-art-recommendations-for-the-uga-presidential-task-force-on-race-ethnicity-and-community-from-the-athens-cultural-affairs-commission-an-open-letter/

The Athens Cultural Affairs Commission decided to make our public art and public history recommendations to the UGA Presidential Task Force on Race, Ethnicity, and Community an open, public statement. The Task Force is currently taking public comments until October 1, and we encourage you to make your own statements, whether that's a full endorsement of our recommendations or some ideas of your own: https://rectaskforce.uga.edu

The Athens Cultural Affairs Commission was established to advise the Athens-Clarke County Unified Government on cultural affairs and aesthetic development of the built environment in accordance with provisions of planning, programming, procurement, installation, operation, and maintenance of public art projects and artworks.
---

5. UGA Teaming for Interdisciplinary Research Pre-Seed Program
Applications open October 1
https://research.uga.edu/team-pre-seeds/about/

The Teaming for Interdisciplinary Research Pre-Seed Program provides early stage developmental funding to facilitate the formation of faculty teams and collaboration around critical areas of research expertise or emerging research topics. The goal of the pre-seed funding is to stimulate the formation of new interdisciplinary research teams that position UGA faculty to be competitive for attracting resources for collaborative research, including internal UGA seed grants and ultimately, external grant support. The Program is offered by the Office of the Vice President for Research, in partnership with the Office of the Provost.

Finding may be used for team-building activities such as networking meals, part-time student support, group website development, and travel to meet with potential external collaborators or funding agencies. Funds will be made available to teams beginning in January 2021.
---

6. Reading Room: To Rebuild and Reimagine the United States Post-Pandemic, We Must Put Creative Workers to Work

Americans for the Arts
https://www.americansforthearts.org/news-room/arts-mobilization-center/creative-workers-to-work

"To thrive post-pandemic, the United States must leverage our creative power, putting creative workers to work rebuilding, reimagining, unifying, and healing communities in every state and territory, as well as within tribal lands. Below, we propose 15 specific actions that the next Administration can take to activate the creative economy within a comprehensive national recovery strategy."
---

7. Lecture: Tony Cokes
Monday, September 28 at 7 PM
zoom meeting iD: 979 7498 8866

Tony Cokes lives and works in Providence, Rhode Island, where he serves as a professor in the Department of Modern Culture and Media at Brown University. Recent exhibitions include the Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, Harvard University, Cambridge; Goldsmiths Centre for Contemporary Art, London; The Shed, New York; Bergen Kunsthall, Bergen; the 10th Berlin Biennale, Berlin; Hessel Museum, Annandale-on-Hudson; Whitechapel Gallery, London; ZKM, Karlsruhe; REDCAT, Los Angeles; SFMOMA, San Francisco; the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Pera Museum, Istanbul; and the Louvre, Paris.
---

8. Artists for Democracy: Kandis Williams
Tuesday, September 29 at 8 PM
https://www.artists4democracy.com/

The Dodd Galleries has partnered with Artists 4 Democracy to bring a series of lectures in which artists talk about their work and why they vote.

Kandis Williams was born in 1985 in Baltimore. She studied at the Cooper Union School of Art. Her practice spans collage, performance, writing, publishing, and curating, and it often explores and deconstructs critical theory around race, nationalism, authority, and eroticism. In 2016 she cofounded Cassandra, a publishing project that she runs with the artists Taylor Doran and Jordan Nassar, which produces lo-fi activist and academic texts, flyers, posters, pamphlets, and Williams's Readers series. She is currently a visiting faculty member at California Institute of the Arts.
---

9. Creative Capital: Access in Content and Form
Thursday, October 1 at 4 PM
https://creative-capital.org/events/access-in-content-and-form/

"Access in Content and Form" is a conversation with and between Creative Capital Awardees writer Kenny Fries and visual artist and filmmaker Alison O'Daniel. As artists who identify as disabled, Kenny and Alison know the importance of access to buildings, sound, films, books, websites and, especially during the current pandemic, protection and care. However, what is most important to their practices is work that focuses on disability in both content and form. Kenny and Alison will talk about how their intersectional identities enter their work, the importance of disability representation and role models, and their upcoming creative collaboration on a film based on Kenny's poem sequence In the Gardens of Japan.
---

10. Rhizome 7x7 Stavanger: Newly Imagined, Online Only
Begins Monday, October 5
https://rhizome.org/editorial/2020/sep/22/announcing-77-stavanger-online-only-at-77no-october-5-11/

Together with Kunsthall Stavanger in Norway, we are delighted to announce 7x7 Stavanger, a newly-imagined, socially-distanced edition of our longstanding platform pairing visionaries from the fields of art and technology and charging them to create new projects through one-on-one collaborations over a short period of time. On Monday October 5, 2020 at 2 PM EST, we will kick off seven days of art-tech premieres, each taking the form of a 45-minute live-event broadcast, with audience Q&A, via the new website 7x7.no. Their projects engage urgent subjects such as synthetic biology, the circulation of pathogens, quantum computing, virtuality and mixed reality, and rethinking social media dynamics. Originally planned as an in-person conference made impossible due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, the partners reworked 7x7 to explore relevant themes and model remote, interisciplinary collaboration.
---

11. Symposium: Gender, the Body, and Fieldwork Across Disciplines
October 15-17
https://genderbodyfieldwork.wixsite.com/genderbodyfieldwork/2020-symposium

This year's virtual symposium will feature a live podcast episode and a series of interactive workshops that engage with race and field experiences; the ethics of training international students in the American academy; fieldwork as a menas for discovering, creating, and expressing our core identities; and what it means to do fieldwork in an unaccustomed and unacknowledged body.

The plenary talk, "A Dialectical Future for Behavioral and Evolutionary Ecology," will be given by Dr. Ambika Kamath, and will be followed by an interactive workshop entitled "Fieldwork, Identity, and our Minds, Bodies, and Hearts."

Registration: http://rb.gy/8qctat

This free event emerged in response to a recognized need for combatting the silence surrounding the embodied experience of diverse researchers in the field. By hosting annual events we hope to provide resources and generate conversations around important fieldwork considerations. We are excited that our virtual format creates opportunities for individuals beyond UGA to attend and contribute to the symposium.
---

12. UGA Innovation District Quick Pitch Competition
Wednesday, October 7 at 5:30 PM
Application deadline: Wednesday, September 30
http://www.ugaentr.com/quick-pitch

Do you have an interesting business idea and want a chance to win $1,000? Join us for the University of Georgia Innovation District "Quick Pitch" competition, where 10 teams will pitch their business ideas in 90 seconds each for a chance to win up to $1,000. A panel of judges will select the winner, and the crowd will nominate a crowd favorite.

The deadline to apply is Wednesday, Sept. 30, and all ideas are welcome. You don't need to have an ongoing business, revenue, business plan, or product. The competition is open to all UGA faculty, staff, students, and community members.
---

13. Campus Sustainability Grants
Deadline: November 16
https://sustainability.uga.edu/grants

Funded by the Student Green Fee, grants up to $5,000 are available to current UGA students who wish to implement projects to advance sustainability on campus and in our local community. Special consideration will be given to interdisciplinary projects that advance equity and incorporate the arts.
---

14. Capturing Science Contest
Deadline: December 7
https://guides.libs.uga.edu/capturingscience

Guidelines: Convey a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) concept to a broader audience using any medium of your choice.

Prizes: The top four submissions receive prizes of $1,000, $800, $600, and $400.

Special Prize: An additional $200 will be made available to the entry that engages most successfully with the topic of either COVID-19 or Racial and Ethnic Justice.

Eligibility: All currently-enrolled UGA undergraduate, graduate, and professional students are eligible. Multidisciplinary and collaborative group submissions are highly encouraged. Students may submit works used for other class assignments. Multiple entries are acceptable.
---

15. Elevate: Minority Student Film Festival

UGA's Black Theatrical Ensemble (BTE) is organizing a film festival dedicated to showcasing the filmmaking talent of minority students, to be held April 10, 2021. We are specifically looking to highlight diversity with regards to race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, disabilities (acquired or developmental), and/or religion. While film crews are encouraged to be diverse and center minority experiences and visions, any and all students are welcome to be part of a production in any capacity. BTE will maintain a filmmakers' network to form crews and bring all involved filmmakers access to panels, Q&A and advice sessions with professional filmmakers. The festival is competitive and awards will be given for various categories.

Guidelines:

Films must be a minimum of 2 minutes and maximum 20 minutes long.

Animated and live action films are welcome, and we will accept films made in pre-Covid times.

It is strongly encouraged that the cast and/or crew reflect diversity and inclusion.

The due date to submit films is March 1. Films or Vimeo/youtube links with passwords should be sent to [log in to unmask]
---

Ideas for Creative Exploration is an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at UGA, supported in part by the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, and the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.

ice.uga.edu
facebook.com/ideasforcreativeexploration

For more events and opportunities visit:

a2ru.org
art.uga.edu
arts.uga.edu
athica.org