CILIATEMOLBIO-L Archives

Ciliate Molecular Biology

CILIATEMOLBIO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Ronald Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2019 16:32:53 -0400
I too am greatly saddened by this news. My interactions with Marty go back
a long time, to the late 1960s when I returned to Canada and started my
lab. With the late Jan Engberg, my first postdoc who I met when I was a
postdoc in Copenhagen and Jan was a graduate student, we were interested
in Tetrahymena rDNA. Meng Chao in Marty's lab was also interested in this.
We interacted very positively with the goal of advancing scince and this
was the first of many very interesting and productive interactions, many
leading to collaborations and co-publications.

Not only was the long history of scientific interactions positive and
productive but Marty was a true leader of the cell biology and ciliate
communities and worked tirelessly to advance these communities. His
insights and contributions at conferences and in more private interactions
were always positive and important in supporting people, the community,
and science. As Doug mentioned, was instrumental in developing a sense of
community and this was very positive in advancing ciliate biology and
supporting the exceptional science has been produced.

Marty also trained many exceptional people, many of who have remained to
be exceptional contributors to the ciliate and other communities. an
exceptional legacy.

Heartfelt condolences to the family, including Marty's extensive
scientific family. A tragic loss.

            Ron

Dr. Ronald E. Pearlman           [log in to unmask]
Associate Scientific Director
Co-ordinator, Student Outreach Programs
The Gairdner Foundation
Past President and Advisor
Royal Canadian Institute (RCI) for the Advancement of Science
University Professor Emeritus and Senior Scholar
Dept. of Biology
Director, Core Molecular Biology Facility
York University
4700 Keele St., Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3J 1P3
Phone:416-736-5241; FAX:416-736-5698