From:
Steve Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2021 16:15:39 -0400
Here's some relevant parts  of  an article in today's Washington Post, I saw various other versions online, some of which had conflicting information about the mussels, and I did not see a list of species/common names, though I'm sure diligent searching could turn that up:]

Ivory-billed woodpecker officially declared extinct, along with 22 other species

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s move underscores what scientists say is an accelerating rate of extinction worldwide, given climate change and habitat loss

The species pushed over the brink include 10 types of birds and bats found only on Pacific islands, as well as eight types of freshwater mussels that once inhabited riverbeds from Illinois to Georgia. The best available science suggests these creatures are no longer swimming, scampering or soaring on this planet, obliterating the need for any federal protection.

(Fast Forward a Few Paragraphs......)

Throughout the rivers of the Southeast, for instance, freshwater
mussels were once so plentiful that they were harvested to make
buttons before the era of plastic. “We still sometimes find punched
shells in the river,” said Tyler Hern, who now breeds them in
captivity at Tennessee’s Erwin National Fish Hatchery to help restore
their numbers.

Rivers once teeming with mussels — which clean streams by filtering
them — have been transformed by industrial pollution, dam construction
and rising water temperatures linked to climate change. The
invertebrates often can’t escape.

“They’re capable of moving,” said Hern. “It’s just a matter of inches a day.”

For many mussels, their mating habits make them even more vulnerable.
Males disperse their seed in the water for females downstream, who in
turn spray their young at passing fish, so their babies can grow while
attached to the fishes’ gills.

Any break in the long-distance affair could ruin a species.

http://listserv.uga.edu/scripts/wa-UGA.exe?SUBED1=conch-l-L&A=1