From:
Karlynn Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2024 21:18:35 +0000
I believe that shells collected on the deck of a scallop boat as you describe are self-collected, as well as shells collected from a scallop dump or midden. If, for example, you are on a group trip and there is a dredging event where the group participants take turns dividing the shells from the dredging, I also believe they are self-collected. Also, if I see a shell and show it to someone else that picks it up, I believe they have a self-collected shell.
However, if you give me a shell you found it is not self-collected and if you are given a shell by a crew member on the scallop boat which he saved for you it is not self-collected.
There are probably numerous other examples to address, but these are the ones which come to mind at the moment.
Karlynn Morgan
NC -USA