From:
Fred Schueler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 11:46:08 -0400
On 4/13/2020 2:41 PM, Fred Schueler wrote:
> On 4/13/2020 12:02 PM, John Jacobs wrote:
>
>> Earth Day this year is Wednesday April 22^nd .  Usually, there are all kinds of events surrounding this day, but COVID-19 has put a damper on that.  However, here’s something you all can do on that day:  When you go for a walk around your neighborhood, take a trash bag with you, wear gloves, and help to clean up the trash left behind by inconsiderate creatures.  We don’t always take a bag with us when we walk in the morning, but we’re trying to do that more often.

> ...and, based on the brands and products recovered, publish a psychological profile of the litterbugs in your local newspaper!

* here's the promised Earth Day psychological assessment of
litter-bugging. I was only able to do the 49 m of our land along Buker
Road, but it's a start on this literary genre. No snail shells were
seen. The results are more like the remains of an old gotten-away bag of
kitchen garbage than real roadside littering.

22 April 2020 - Canada: Ontario: Grenville County: Buker Road Field, 142
m SSW Bishops Mills intersection. (49m between waypoints), 44.87128°N
75.70164°W TIME: 1754-1802. AIR TEMP: 3.5°C, sunny, Beaufort moderate
breeze. HABITAT: roadside of grassy/brushy shallow-soil oldfield on
limestone plain. OBSERVER: Frederick W. Schueler. 2020/086/e,
anthropogenic junk (event). litter, captured. scrappy litter scattered
along and back from the road.

- 2 old torn boxes from Yoplait tubes - "Add a taste of sunshine to your
day with our fresh and feel-good dairy products. We put a lot of love
into every Yoplait product, bringing families across Canada together so
they can connect, share and savour every delicious moment along the way."

- 53 x 139 mm wrapper for Dare foods Ltd - "Bear Paws Chocolate Chip bar
- Made with real chocolate chips, these moist and chewy Bear Paws taste
just like home-baked cookies!" from "a peanut free facility."

- full-size Cheerios box bleached white on upper side - "A Heart Healthy
Breakfast Made With Whole Grain Oats. An Essential Part Of Every
Morning. No Artificial Flavours."

- torn scrap of blue tee-shirt-like cloth in a Rhamnus cathartica
(Common Buckthorn) bush.

- a piece of glitter-spotted tissue paper.

- 19 x 19 x 8 cm black plastic open-top take-out food container

- 355 ml Mug root beer can with "no caffeine."

- cardboard roll from paper towels

- wrapper of Nestle DRUMS mocha cookie crunch - "An indulgent
combination of coffee frozen dessert, cookie crunch coating, and a fudge
centre. Each cone contains real, bold roast coffee."

- a coffee filter paper.

- rusty 15 cm angled piece of steel.

- old decomposing plastic grocery bag.

. . . so the psychological profile is "dispersed kitchen garbage from a
household modestly engaged with processed sweets," at 0.26 items per metre.

The bounds of the survey were:

Buker Road Field, 118 m SSW Bishops Mills intersection. (20m waypoint),
44.87148N 75.70152W TIME: 1754:52. HABITAT: roadside of grassy/brushy
shallow-soil oldfield on limestone plain. 2020/086/ea, visit (event).
natural history, walk. WAYPT/Y115, collecting for roadside litter
assessment. The NNE corner of our land and end of the village pavement
here. There's a swoop of sand off the shoulder where the village
pavement sweeping ended. Lythrum salicaria (Purple Loosestrife) and
Rhamnus frangula (Shining Buckthorn) are the invasives along the
roadside - Pinus sylvestris (Scots Pine) and Agrilus planipennis
(Emerald Ash Borer) -afflicted Fraxinus (Ash) back from the road.

moved 49m SSW - Buker Road Field, 167 m SSW Bishops Mills intersection.
(20m waypoint), 44.87107N 75.70176W TIME: 1755:45.  HABITAT: roadside of
grassy/brushy shallow-soil oldfield on limestone plain. 2020/086/eb,
visit (event). natural history, walk. WAYPT/Y116, collecting for
roadside litter assessment. The SSW corner of our land here. Rhamnus
cathartica (Common Buckthorn) and Rhamnus frangula (Shining Buckthorn)
are the invasives along the roadside here - most cut down at least once,
but relentlessly sprouting.

          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
'Wildlife on Roads' -
http://doingnaturalhistory.blogspot.ca/2018/03/upcoming-book-wildlife-on-roads-handbook.html
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W
"Feasting on Conolophus to the conclusion of consanguinity"
  -
http://www.lulu.com/shop/frederick-w-schueler/feasting-on-conolophus-to-the-conclusion-of-consanguinity-a-collection-of-darwinian-verses/paperback/product-23517445.html