From:
Fred Schueler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 2020 13:41:07 -0400
On 5/7/2020 1:02 PM, David Kirsh wrote:
>  I’m using an early version which isn’t supported by current software of Mac systems. Therefore, I’ve partitioned my older desktop computer so that I can still utilize the early FileMaker program.

* It's characteristic of folks who are setting up cataloguing programs
to find a program that works, and then not learn about any upgrades. I'm
still with Foxpro2 ("It can do anything you would want to do" as a girl
who was working with us said in 1994), but will need to migrate to a
more modern system sometime soon, since Windows 7 is the last version
that will run a partition that will run Foxpro.

http://www.fragileinheritance.org/projects/database/history.htm - "Our
database began in 1983 on a Hewlett Packard 9845 computer at the
National Museum of Natural Sciences' Beamish Building when Fred's
handwriting became too Darwinian to be interpreted by curatorial
technicians, and he printed catalogue data on file cards for entry into
the museum catalog. With the availability of the portable IBM-clone
Hyperion computer in 1984, Fred shifted his catalogue to a computer
listing (as output from BASIC data statements). In the cross-continental
descriptive field work from 1984-1989, we enhanced a text listing of
these catalogue entries to form a narrative. In 1990, for the Bruce
Peninsula Herp Survey, with the guidance of Wayne Weller of the Ontario
Herpetofaunal Summary, Fred began to use dBase III+, in a data structure
derived from that of the OHS, to record observations, and to output
prose-like species accounts and descriptions of sites from the database.
By 1994, we moved to Foxpro 2.0, the most advanced MS-DOS database
application..."

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
'Wildlife on Roads' -
http://doingnaturalhistory.blogspot.ca/2018/03/upcoming-book-wildlife-on-roads-handbook.html
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W
"Feasting on Conolophus to the conclusion of consanguinity"
  -
http://www.lulu.com/shop/frederick-w-schueler/feasting-on-conolophus-to-the-conclusion-of-consanguinity-a-collection-of-darwinian-verses/paperback/product-23517445.html