DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Rolf Sommer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 10:14:07 +0100
Dear Arnold,

(it is thanks not tahks... :-))

Regarding the start of simulation, I only partly agree with what Louis du
Pisani wrote. Always running two years in advance only to get the water
balance right, might simply not be feasible because of lacking input data.
And even then it is questionable whether the simulated water balance for the
very day of planting is "better" than starting the simulation only a couple
of weeks before planting. I'd say it depends more on the availability of
observed data on soil water contents or tensions in this case. If you can
match observation made, say, two or three days before planting with a
simulation that started only two weeks before simulation, why would you want
to run two additional earlier years?
But this is regarding only soil water. What about your soil N and C contents
(more important Nmin)? Could your simulation reproduce observations? I could
imagine that in case your model setup triggers a fast depletion of Nmin by
leaching, then, of course, the earlier you start your simulation, the more
depleted the soil is! However, this implies that you didn't change the
initial conditions (Ntot, Corg, Nmin), once you changed the starting date of
simulation. Was this the case?

Regards,
Rolf