DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"amiri,ebrahim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 10:49:44 -0700
Dear Wendy,

About your outputs " both water stress and excess water stress are high".

Please check your initial soil water condition and soil's parameters ( FC , PWP , SATURATION and KS ).

if you didn't measure that parameters you can use of some software same RETC:

 " Van Genuchten, M.Th.,
F.J. Leij and S.R. Yates, 1991. The RETC code for quantifying the hydraulic
functions for unsaturated soils. U.S.
Salinity Laboratory, Riverside,
 California."
      For create soil's parameters.
   I think your error is  in define those parameters.
    Please check your inputs files. The models give anythings you give.
     Please read this paper:
  " Eitzinger, J., Trnka, M., Hosch, J.,  Zalud, Z., Dubrovsk,  M.2004.Comparison  of CERES, WOFOST and SWAP models in simulating soil water content during growing season under different soil conditions.Eclogical Modelling 171 : 223-246."

I hope my advices are sufficient

 Best regards

 ebi

Ken Boote <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Richard and Wendy,

I think excess and deficit water stress do occur on the same day.  The
reason is that the excess water causes root water uptake to be reduced,
and that is what reduces photosynthesis and ET.  It is quite possible
that excess water has no effect on photosynthesis other than via water
uptake (and maybe on N uptake too).  That is the only way excess water
limits photosynthesis and ET.  In other words, you can have water
deficit by itself from lack of water, but when you have excess water
stress it will always cause the water deficit signal to show up too.

I did not write that bit of code and am not sure of what the intent
was.  My comment above comes from observing how the signals for excess
water stress and water deficit stress work (same ones that you mention)

So, I'd be happy to have Bill Batchelor, Jon Lizaso, or Jim Jones to
chime in on how this is coordinated in the models.  I may be wrong on
this one.

Ken Boote