DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Roger E. Rivero" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2005 10:09:36 -0500
Dear Wendy:

Practically I can't give you any help, except as to reasoning the problem
for you and others. I have seen some answers to your request and they are
all true and valid. I haven't version 4.0 so it makes my advice harder to
express in clear terms. But it seems to me that there are answers to some of
your questions which I haven't seen. Let's recapitulate:

First: It's there a GenCalc facility in DSSAT 4.0
Answer: I don't know
You should obtain an answer to that question.

Second: Are the scarce data you have about DT84 soybean cultivar AND
agrometeorological daily data available to you, enough to make a reliable
estimate of genetic coefficients of DT84 cultivar. Even if v4 had a GenCalc
tool or using instead an earlier version of DSSAT?
Answer: I don't know
You should obtain an answer to that question

If somebody gives you those answers you will able to decide what to do and
you'll be on your way.
In particular it is not clear to me how to understand that DT84 is not very
photoperiod sensitive and how many crop cycles of data you have for
estimation of genetic coefficients, meaning that I don't know if you have
data enough to capture climate variability even on one site (in Cambodia) so
to make a reliable estimation of genetic coefficients.

If I were you I would be beginning by running all available cultivars on
your v4 with the same data you have (this can be done in no time at all),
and compare with experimental results at hand. This would allows you to
select some available cultivar that express affinity to your DT84.

Then I would use a GenCalc facility (if there is one) guided by that
previous computer experiment. If I had  no GenCalc facility I would do it by
hand. You could say that you would be using a trial and error method.

What other colleagues had answered you about how stable and reliable are
genetic coefficients as to different environmental conditions is true. You
could get all messages in that discussion from the server, but if it is not
possible, I would gladly send you my copies of it through e-mail.

Sincerely yours,

Roger E. Rivero Vega