DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Andrew Challinor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Challinor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:03:38 +0000
Dear all,

I have followed this discussion with great interest. I have a paper in
press (once I have proof read it) in Agricultural and Forest Meteorology
which has a discussion section on this topic. My one-line contribution
is to say that the level of complexity of a crop model should be
dependent on what question it is being used to answer. This idea is not
new and goes back at least to Sinclair and Seligman (2000; Field Crops
Research 68 165-172).
Process-based approaches of intermediate complexity do exist (e.g.
Challinor et al., 2004, Ag. For. Met. 124 99-120; Challinor et al.,
2007, Agric. Ecosys. Env. 119 190-204) - I can send pdfs to any
interested individuals.

Best wishes,

Andy