DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Albert Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Albert Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:01:09 -0600
I am attempting to organize a session entitled "Simulating phenotypic

plasticity to the environment" for the upcoming American Society of

Agronomy meetings to be held in Pittsburgh, PA, 1-5 November 2009. This

session will be part of the A03 Agroclimatology and Agronomic Modeling

division presentations. Phenotypic plasticity can be defined as “the

ability of a genotype to produce distinct phenotypes when exposed to

different environments throughout its ontogeny”. I believe that

quantifying phenotypic plasticity will provide new insights into the

simulation of crop related processes resulting in improved simulations. As

with many things in life, easy to say, but hard to accomplish. A question,

are “genetic coefficients” constant or are they a function of the

environment? If you would like to present a paper or a poster in this

session or have a question, please let me know. Unfortunately, there are

no funds available to support travel to this meeting. Thanks.

        Al

Albert Weiss, Professor

School of Natural Resources

University of Nebraska-Lincoln