DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Gijsman, Arjan J. (CIAT)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 07:18:12 -0800
Hiroshi,

First let me stress that the CENTURY-based SOM/residue module of DSSAT4 did
a much better job with the validation tests we have done than DSSAT's
original module (now called the CERES-based module). This was esp. the case
for carbon, as you can see in Fig. 5 of our article "Modifying DSSAT for
low-input agricultural systems...". For nitrogen the results of the
simulation were not that clear-cut, as nitrogen is affected (and can be
lost) via many processes that are not equally well simulated:
denitrification, volatilization, leaching, mineralization and
immobilization. N is shown in Fig. 6 of the article and sometimes the
CENTURY-based module did better, but other times the CERES module was the
winner.

Concerning your follow-up question:
1. Yes, you can run the same fileX for both versions, but note that with
v4.0 there is a switch MESOM on the METHODS line for which SOM module to
use: MESOM = P for CENTURY, MESOM = G for CERES.
2. Yes, but also try the CENTURY-based SOM/residue module!
3. I am sorry, I have hardly worked with DSSAT4 and therefore never looked
at CropTest, as I am full time busy with developing the next DSSAT version
(which will incorporate a P module), but I will ask someone who does know
and then let the list know.

Cheers,
Arjan