DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Gijsman, Arjan J. (CIAT)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 08:45:54 -0500
Dear Wei,

If you talk about the mineral bulk density, do you mean the bulk density of minerals plus pores, but without SOM? As such it was reported in Rawls and Brakensiek (1985) and they had a figure with all its values depending on the clay and sand content. The figure has a lot of smooth curve and when I wanted to work with these values, I just grabbed a ruler and measured them in steps of 5% sand and 5% clay. Of course one should realize that it does not give the true value as it is in your soil, but just an estimate; I have no idea what it is based on.

I wanted to send this file as attachment, but the DSSAT list server does not accept attachments, so I will send it directly to your email address in China. I put sand as the horizontal value and clay as the vertical. Both sand and clay go from 0 to 100%, which is the first row for sand and the first column for clay.

The equation that you mention for the BD doesn¡¯t seem correct to me. You have:

BD = 100 / (SOM% / 0.224 / (100 / SOM%) / mineral BD)

But is should be:

BD = 100 / (SOM% / 0.224 + (100 - SOM%) / mineral BD)

Thus after the 0.224 there should be a ¡®+¡¯ and not a ¡®/¡¯, and you have 100 / SOM% but this should be 100 ¨C SOM%. Yours is not correct because what is needed in the overall denominator (with 100 as numerator) is the SOM with its own bulk density and the non-SOM (or minerals) with its own bulk density (or mineral BD).

I used this method extensively for calculating the BD of all texture combinations that make up the texture triangle (5151 in total) when doing a method comparison on methods for estimating the water retention parameters wilting point (or lower limit, LL) and field capacity (or drained upper limit, DUL). The article that reslted from this is Gijsman A.J., Jagtap S.S., Jones J.W. 2002. Wading through a swamp of complete confusion: how to choose a method for estimating soil water retention parameters for crop models. European Journal of Agronomy, 18: 75-105.

If you are interested I can send you a PDF of the article, but it is close to 1 MB, so your email box should accept messages of this size.

Cheers,

Arjan Gijsman