From:
Janet Reyes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2024 16:46:49 +0000
Hi Amy,

Great question! When I weeded our map collection, I took a tiered approach regarding previous editions of topographic maps. For instance, you might want to keep one copy of each edition for the local area, but only keep the most recent copy for more distant areas. You could make similar tiered decisions regarding the scale of the map and distance away from your location, hanging on to all USGS map scales for your local area, but remove the 1:24,000 scale maps of more distant areas, and remove additional scales the further away you go.

A more detailed outline of one way to structure your retention decisions like this is in Chapter 5 of the Conducting a Map Collection Review workbook. The good news about that is, it's free to download from this link: https://bit.ly/ACRLMapReview. I hope you'll find it useful!

Best,

Janet Reyes

Geospatial Information Librarian

UCR Library | University of California, Riverside

P.O. Box 5900 | Orbach Library, Room 128

Riverside, CA 92517-5900

Office: 951.827.6421 | Fax: 951.827.2255 | [log in to unmask]