SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Gyorgy Szimuly <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gyorgy Szimuly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:00:09 +0100
Dear Listers,

Sorry for cross-posting.
Recent images of killed Sociable Lapwings posted on surfbirds.com.
Just for your information:
http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/gallery/display.cgi?gallery=gallery16

Direct links to the images:
http://www.surfbirds.com/media/gallery_photos/20090322090219.JPG
http://www.surfbirds.com/media/gallery_photos/20090322090016.JPG

Text quoted: "Sociable Lapwing, Syria, north of Deir ez-Zor March 10,
2009 İRemco Holfland
Remains of a male and female, shot and eaten the previous day by
local hunters. They said between 2,000 and 3,000 were present in the
general area, of which we saw a flock of 65 (see above). Flocks of 8
and 26 were seen in other areas few days earlier."

So the case seems to be continued. Hunting of these shorebirds is
still an issue (and I guess it remains for a while) in the Middle
East. I would be happy to learn more about the international efforts
on stopping illegal hunting of Sociable Lapwings in the Middle East
or anywhere along the migration route.

BR: Szimi
Gyorgy Szimuly (Szimi)
Skype: szimistyle.com