SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Patrick Leary <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Leary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:55:28 -0400
Message following was excerpted from a recent post (by another member) to
the Floridabirds Listserve. Note: The same issue/concern has been
discussed with local management re flooded athletic fields in Fernandina
Beach in NE Florida. During TS conditions, local fields also attract:
Pectoral, Buff-breasted, Solitary, White-rumped, Semipalmated, Least and
Western Sandpipers, yellowlegs, plovers, Red and Red-necked Phalaropes and
other migrant shorebirds.

"The really sad part about finding the migratory
sandpipers was, being at a flooded ball field, the
water drew up the army worms that the birds were
happily feeding on like crazy.  While I was there
checking out all the species present, the park
employee drove out a big truck with a chemical tank on
the back and started to poison the field so the "fine
citizens of Ormond Beach" could have their nice green
ball fields.  We had quite a long discussion about
what they were doing and, as we were chatting all the
migratory sandpipers flew off and that was the end of
that.  I tried to tell him what had just happened but
he has a job to do and needs the pay check to feed his
family.  We are at such odds in this world."

PR Leary, Fernandina Beach, FL