SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Jean Iron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jean Iron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2012 08:35:52 -0400
This is the fourth and summary report for Burntpoint Creek Research Station
on Hudson Bay operated by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR).
The camp closed on 18 July. The first Polar Bear arrived on the 16th as the
sea ice was rapidly disappearing from Hudson Bay. New birds since the last
report were 3 adult Caspian Terns on 16 July (first record) and a juvenile
Northern Shrike on 15th. Commonest shorebird was the Sanderling with 407
adults migrating east along the coast on 16 July. Total species for the
period 22 June - 18 July 2012 was 70 including 16 species of shorebirds.

See links below to my website photos and videos

5 pages of website photos
http://www.jeaniron.ca/Burntpoint/shorebirds.htm

Video of Caribou herd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XQIbh2l2Ko

Video of male Willow Ptarmigan dusting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH7pJxIeFPw

Video of female Willow Ptarmigan dusting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQPxXLtltl8

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: I thank Ken Abraham (OMNR) for the opportunity to do
fieldwork at Burntpoint. Rod Brook (OMNR), Kim Bennett (OMNR) and Sarah
Hagey (OMNR) provided logistical support. I particularly thank Ron Pittaway
for posting my reports. I owe my love of shorebirds and the north to Ron who
has encouraged me to volunteer with OMNR.

JAMES BAY REPORTS UPCOMING: As a continuation of previous summers, I begin
surveying Red Knots and other shorebirds on 30 July for the Canadian
Wildlife Service and Royal Ontario Museum. Watch for weekly updates in
August.

Jean Iron
Toronto, Ontario
Canada