SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Patrick Leary <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Leary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2012 09:59:36 -0400
Partners:  A pre-TS Beryl survey of Ft. Clinch’s west inlet shore this
morning found three broods of WILP chicks, two complete and a third likely
complete but only two chicks were detected in vegetation. More interesting
was sighting a banded WIPL on the river shore very near the oldest  brood
within a week of fledging. Despite the banded bird’s close proximity to
the chicks, the guarding male did not drive the interloper away.

Banded per:  O,O:m,WO or O,O:m,bO  the bird appeared to be a AHY juv. or
an adult female. (I was without my scope and camera on this survey, so no
digiscope image was collected)

There is some possibility the plover came off Cumberland Island, as
Monique advises me that a WIPL researcher is conducting field work there
this spring, but I have no particulars re her studies and/or whether or
not she is banding her subjects.
I suspect to learn more within a few days and will share what is learned.

A recent survey of the park’s NE inlet shore, found: a two chick brood, a
single chick brood and a three egg clutch yet to hatch. Several additional
pairs were occupying territories along the eastern segment. To date, no
AMOY, WILL or LETE pairs have been active there.

Pat Leary