I see that my e-mail from my new server is coming through with just my first
name as the sender.  Sorry about that, I'll try to remedy it tonight.  But I
might as well take this opportunity to announce that I am phasing out
[log in to unmask], and my new e-mail (at home) is [log in to unmask]  My e-mail
at work remains unchanged.

Now let's see if I can further muddy the waters surrounding Chicoreus
axicornis, by pointing out another problem in one of our most popular books
(this one, like the previous one, brought to my attention by Lori
Schroeder).  The target publication this time is Springsteen & Leobrera's
Shells of the Philippines.  On plate 36 (page 133) there are two
illustrations purporting to represent Chicoreus axicornis.  The picture on
the left (figure 5a) is described as the form kawamurai.  Agreed!  This is
the smaller  form with shorter, hook-tipped spines.  And, like every
specimen of C. axicornis I have ever seen, kawamurai or otherwise, it has
two major lip spines (often with a smaller spinelet between), and two major,
simple canal spines.  The problem is figure 5b, which the authors describe
as the "typical form" of C. axicornis. Huh??  The shell has four thick
foliated spines on the lip, the posterior one larger than than the other
three, plus three similar spines on the canal, which to my way of thinking
is about as unaxicornislike as you can get.  I think this shell looks more
like C. banksii.  In fact, note the similarity between figure 5b, and figure
8a which IS C. banksii.  I don't think the book actually contains a picture
of the real "typical" C. axicornis.  Any opinions?
Paul M.