Dear Oliver,
            I have been to Bali a couple of times but not done a lot of
collecting.
            In l993 I dived at the Liberty ship at Tulamben. there were a
few Bursa and Latirus on the wreck - which has strong currents, but the most
interesting find was a dark grey Voluta vespertilio on the fine grey sand
next to the wreck. The shoreline also has some basalt boulder habitat (small
enough to turn) which has some interesting and unusual micros, cowries,
murex, and a small chiton that is described from there. I could have spent
the whole dive there.
            I concentrated more on landsnails. You will most likely find
Amphidromus and Asperitas around Ubud on the trees. I believe the Monkey
forest has them but you take the risk of being bitten and there is a nasty
encephalitus virus.
            If you are interested in small 1-10mm snails try to get to the
Botanic Gardens at Bedugul in the highlands. You could easily find 10-20
species in the native forest bordering the gardens.
            Further away I had some excellent beach collecting in 93 in
front of the Putri Bali Hotel in Nusa Dua.
            Some of the coast around Candi Dasa on the east coast also
looked interesting - if only there was time.
            I am sure you will find something interesting wherever on the
coast.
Good luck
Geoff