Kath,
After following the discussion for the last few days I have to agree with
most of your points. I have also collected extensively in the Pacific and
have seen this type of wear on many different genera, especially Nerites and
Turbinids but also Muricids like Chicoreus and Thais and I think maybe
Cerithium too. The damage is mainly around the columella but can involve the
aperture too. I have also seen holes in these shells adjacent to the suture
lines and which appear to me to result from thining of the shell in this
region - although not often.
Not infrequently there is minimal wear externally, so I cannnot accept beach
rolling as a mechanism.
I also note that I have only seen this in tropical areas and probably only
with terrestrial hermits. I could not vouch for intertidal species but I
cannot recall ever seeing this on a dived shell. Here in Victoria Australia
our species are all marine and I have not seen this sort of wear either -
even in shells with large Calyptrea coinhabiting in tha aperture.
I wonder if chemical is likely as the columella would be in constant contact
with the soft parts of the crab and these always seem a little moist when
one is extracted. With constant moisture, a little acid and some light
abrasion the dissolution of the CaCO3 could possibly be quite rapid.
On the side of abrasion, Someone mentioned that the crabs claw grows to fit
the aperture. Do we know this is the case or is the aperture abraded also by
the claw? It is interesting to note how snugly the claw  fits in place.

Geoff Macaulay