Hi, Conch-Lers!

I guess I'll get in on the numbering discussion.   To me, it seems to be logical to simply enter a shell in numerical order.
BUT, then I put a code in the other corner of my card.    With a
combination of letters and numbrs, I put a code which indicates, in this order - species, country where found, the lot
number  from this locality (again, in numerical order), and the
number of shells in the lot.   I keep a separate card system for
each family, but at this point, only my Pectens are completely
done.   I then have a list of species organized alphabetically by the first unit in the code, i.e. the species abbreviation.    Then I indicate the main number of the card.   This allows me to get
a quick overview of what I have and where to find the card.    Also, I leave spaces between each entry, so that if the species
name is changed, I cannot only move the entry but go to the card and change the name of the species and/or the genus.

Complicated?   It works for me.    I also have a written explanation of the code, so that if anything happens to me, another person can decipher it.

Cheers,
Linda