Hi everyone,
Another call for help from the realms of archaeomalocology. I guess from postings I've already put up it's evident that my job is nothing if not broad, meaning that I am a jack of all trades and master of none. Terrestrial snails are certainly something I know nothing about, though it has fallen to me to get identifications in the absence of funding and interpret the results...

The snails photographed in the link below are from an assemblage from a Fijian rockshelter, with dates spanning about 4000 years ago to European times. The photos have taxon letters at the bottom that I have used in quantification - so any responses will need to state to which taxon they are referring. The one landsnail without a taxon letter is the most abundant (over 700 individuals from 2 metre square test pits). Flora in the area as shown through pollen cores are majorly Casuariniaceae, Euphorbiaceae, Mulvaceae, Neocaucleae, Palms, Pandandus, Terminalia and water lily (Nymphoides indica) - if this is any help.

I would really appreciate any identifications at any level (even family is fine). Also if available, any environmental information about them (niches inhabited, tolerances etc).
Taxon A and D appear similar in the photos - the major difference to my eyes is a distinct raised keel which runs around the outer whorl of Taxon A which is not so prominant in D. This is not obvious in the photos.
You are my only hope....
Thanks,
Kath Szabo

http://car.anu.edu.au/images/snails/page_01.htm

Katherine Szabo

Archaeology and Natural History
Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies
Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200
Australia
mailto:[log in to unmask]