Aydin (and others),

Thanks for pointing that error out. I inadvertently swapped
the teeth for standard deviations and was too intent on the
graphic, letting the arithmetic go begging. It may be a relief
for you (and others) to know that I don't schedule train traffic!

Yet, I do have to work for a living and that has delayed this
reply. Now, here is that graphic made better by your math
reminder:

Labial teeth of Cypraea helvola hawaiiensis (2,600+ shells)
-------------------Standard Deviation-----------------
__-4   -3   -2   -1    M   +1   +2   +3   +4
---^----^----^----^----^----^----^----^----^--
10^ 11^12^ 13^ 14^ 15^ 16^ 17^ 18^ 19^20^ 21^
----------Number of Labial Teeth----------------------

I am partly aware that some non-continuous (meristic) variable
are quasi-normally distributed but others are truly Gaussian.
I suspect that the labial teeth are in this latter catagory,
but research continues.

Some thought has been given to a paper but a few facts are
only that.

Thanks and Aloha.

Bob Dayle (a.k.a. makuabob)