For any interested in Hawaiian cowries:

After a recent 'tour' of cowry-related Internet sites,
I became aware that there was little real information
about the schilderorum/sulcidentata half-breed cowries.

They've been around for decades, at least. The shell dealers
were glad to sell any that they got their hands on for US$50.
However, cowry 'experts' avoided them like the plague!
For the sake of clarity, I've created a web page which shows
plenty of shells' apertures so that the curious person
can see what these 'in-between' shells look like. It is at
http://www.cowrys.org/research/xbreeds.htm

Aloha,

Bob Dayle (a.k.a makuabob)
http://www.cowrys.org