Hi Anne,
What you are describing are whelk egg cases. We have them all over the Gulf
coast as well. There are several species of whelks along the Atlantic coast,
some with the aperture (the opening through which the snail emerges from its
shell) on the right and some on the left (I'd be happy to provide the
scientific names of the various species if your interested. It won't be hard
to find out which species are around the Chesapeake from the
internet...perhaps something for the students to pursue?). Each of the discs
contain anywhere from 20-40 or so juvenile snails. Let me know if I can
provide any further information.

Cheers,
Ryan Moody

Ryan M. Moody