The 'secret,' Cecil, is a white, greaseless poster tack compound. I have tried
to keep it concealed but it can be seen in a few images.

The bigger 'trick' is that I shoot these images from directly overhead and the
shell is -almost- balanced on its side or end. Also, the lens is more than half
a foot from the shell; I use the "close-up lenses on a telephoto lens" method
to reduce the foreshortening effect which occurs if the lens gets too close to
the subject. There are some other methods involved which may be made known
later.

There are nearly 90 specimens available now at
http://www.cowrys.org/research/teresdb1.htm

Aloha,

Bob Dayle