RE: Freshwater clam question...

If the shell to the left of the corbicula shell with the interior view is not a Corbicula, then Sphaerium is a good bet.  I used Burch's key, Freshwater Sphaeriacean Clams, 1972, and the coarseness of ring sculpturing that is consistent from the umbo to the edge suggests Sphaerium striatinum.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Dayle [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 6:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Freshwater clam question...

Thanks, again, for the help.

Below is my latest (and, probably, last) venture into the 'World of Clams.' I went back to the stream this evening to pick up a live specimen for a snapshot, to cinch the identification. It took about twenty minutes to get one, but I found other mollusc-related things and a few neat stones, as well.

The largest shell is empty, is still joined at the hinge and is 3.75 inches across.  (http://cowrys.org/~makuabob/jpgs/big_clam.jpg)

The live clam is about 0.6 inch across. I somehow managed to capture several aspects of the soft parts. (http://cowrys.org/~makuabob/jpgs/clam.jpg)

The single valves and the snail shell can be sized by the valve which has its inside visible; it too is 0.6 inch across.

(http://cowrys.org/~makuabob/jpgs/stuffs.jpg)

I doubt that there are any surprises coming out of this creek, except, perhaps, that Belted Kingfisher I saw last year!

Aloha,

Bob Dayle