Here , here:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When is the Texas show scheduled.
Harry Tasker
Garland, Tx
From: Lucy Clampit <[log in to unmask]>

Dear ConchLers,

There is no way to grade shells to everyone’s satisfaction.  When I first started collecting shells in the 70’s and joined the Houston Conchology Society, I asked club members to suggest reputable dealers from whom they ordered shells.  This worked fairly well for several years, but in the 80’s I discovered COA and The Bourse.  As far as I am concerned, nothing beats being able to actually see and touch the shell before I purchase it.  I may buy a shell with several defects because to me it has “character.”  I probably wouldn’t see its “specialness” in a picture.  When I am traveling to a city with a dealer, I try to make arrangements to visit his/her shop or home.  Unfortunately, we don’t have many dealers in Texas, but we do have 2 shell clubs that have annual auctions, we have an annual shell show with dealers, plus the biannual Texas Jamboree with dealers.  Occasionally, I will still order shells, but I just like to touch them.  I bond with so really ugly things sometimes. J

Lucy Clampit
Houston, Texas