Paul and Paolo and other conchLers,
Won't it be great if there was one site that looked through all the museums websites and listed types and other material that is available in every institution.  Sure would make searching for material easier...

Allen Aigen

-- Paul Valentich-Scott <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear Paolo -

There are MANY online listings and/or databases of type specimens.

Our types are accessed like normal specimens. Go to www.sbcollections.org, use the Advanced Search and select "All Types." One can delimit by phyla, family, etc. by typing in the appropriate name (e.g. Mollusca) into the Taxonomy box. In our collection, all invertebrate phyla are included, not just mollusks. In some cases, we have images along with the type data.

A quick example of other institutions includes the following. This is only a SMALL example of what is available.

The American Museum: http://research.amnh.org/invertzoo/types_db/

Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County: http://ip.nhm.org/nhmsearch/findlots.php

The Academy of Natural Sciences,Philadelphia: http://erato.acnatsci.org/databases/index.php

Museum national d'Histoire naturelle, Paris: http://www.mnhn.fr/museum/foffice/science/science/ColEtBd/collectionsMuseum/collectionSci.xsp

There are literally dozens (hundreds?) of institutions with type information online.

Cheers -

Paul

Paul Valentich-Scott, Curator of Malacology
Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
2559 Puesta del Sol Road
Santa Barbara, CA 93105 USA
805-682-4711, ext. 146