Although it is nice to read reminices about pleasant days in Veronica's shop (which, unfortunately I had visited only once) and the New York Shell Club (still operating, although smaller now), I would like to note that The New York Shell Shop in lower Manhattan (on Pier 17 on the East River) does sell both lots of tourist type material and has a good selection of nice specimen shells.  A more limited selection of nice shells are also available from Maxilla and Mandible, which is near the American Museum of Natural History, although they specialize in vertebrate material.  If you like your shells upscale, coated in silver or gold, Ruzzetti and Gow on the upper east side will give you a shining selection.
Allen Aigen

-- Philip Zaleski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi,

I've been rereading Veronica Johns' marvelous She Sells Seashells (a book
I first heard about on this list, some four or five years ago, thanks to
all and sundry), and I've been wondering if she wrote any other
conchological related material for a book or, more likely, a periodical.
Does anybody have any information to offer about this? What a shame that
her NYC shop no longer exists! It may be that the era of big-city shell
shops is gone forever.

Thanks,

Phil Zaleski

[log in to unmask] - a forum for informal discussions on molluscs
To leave this list, click on the following web link:
Type your email address and name in the appropriate box and
click leave the list.