From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Richard Petit
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 1:54 AM
Subject: Re: taxonomy

It has no standing in systematic taxonomy.  It is an abbreviation for the Latin confer which means exactly the same thing in English, in this case meaning "compare with."  It is used when it is wished to point out similarities between species.  The insertion of cf. has no effect on the name except to indicate that the person using the name  wants to call to attention to the fact that it is close to another species.

dick p.