Bev,
You wont go wrong with Hugh and Merv, both well established dealers. Good
shelling in many areas especially if you can dive eg Rottnest Is., but also
quite a few protected areas in Perth. Bothriembryon spp are not uncommon at
many coastal areas but most other landsnails are micros
Geoff

>From: Bev Dolezal <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Trips to Perth, Australia and Bangkok, Thailand
>Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 19:48:54 -0500
>
>Conch-L crowd....thanks for the info on parasites,etc.  but I was actually
>just trying to find out if there were any shell contacts in Bangkok and
>Perth.  Got a few names in Perth, i.e. Hugh Morrison and Merv Cooper....and
>someone mentioned a Tom Rice in Bangkok...any info on the latter? i.e.
>where
>he is located?  Back in the 70's when I visited Bangkok,it was possible to
>find shells at the open air markets....anyone know if that is still the
>case
>out there, and if so where would be the best place to look?
>Thanks,
>Bev - Clearwater
>

>>From: "Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Re: Trips to Perth, Australia and Bangkok, Thailand
>>Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:09:43 -0500
>>
>>Dear David,
>>
>>I agree with Dick. At <http://www.jaxshells.org/mollusks.htm> is a
>>brief discussion of some of the mollusk-trematode-human interactions.
>>
>>Harry
>>

>>At 08:12 AM 11/5/2006, you wrote:
>>>David:
>>>
>>>Eating snails is not the cause of schistosomiasis.  There are a number of
>>>good articles on the subject, including one listing areas where caution
>>>should be taken, to be found with a Google search. The following
>>>paragraph
>>>is from one of them. The "parasites" mentioned are more properly termed
>>>cercaria.  Certain snails act as intermediate hosts and do not directly
>>>transmit the disease.
>>>
>>>Fresh water becomes contaminated by Schistosoma eggs when infected people
>>>urinate or defecate in the water. The eggs hatch, and if certain types of
>>>snails are present in the water, the parasites grow and develop inside
>>>the
>>>snails. The parasite leaves the snail and enters the water where it can
>>>survive for about 48 hours. Schistosoma parasites can penetrate the skin
>>>of
>>>persons who are wading, swimming, bathing, or washing in contaminated
>>>water.
>>>Within several weeks, worms grow inside the blood vessels of the body and
>>>produce eggs. Some of these eggs travel to the bladder or intestines and
>>>are
>>>passed into the urine or stool.
>>>
>>>I do not think Tom has any associaton with the museum you mentioned but
>>>am
>>>not positive.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Dick Petit
>>
>>Harry G. Lee, M. D.
>>4132 Ortega Forest Dr.
>>Jacksonville, FL 32210 USA
>>voice (904) 389 4049
>>email: [log in to unmask]
>>look at www.jaxshells.org

> [...]

Advertisement: Fresh jobs daily. Stop waiting for the newspaper. Search now!
www.seek.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=757263760&_r=Hotmail_EndText_Nov06&_m=EXT