From: "Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:42:16 -0500
Subject: Re: Olivella pusilla

Dear Marlo,
Here are some of my notes on the Tiny Dwarf Olivella:

Olivella pusilla  (Marrat, 1871)  Tiny Dwarf Olive [5]  8.5 mm.
Intertidal flats, N. Davis Shores, St. Augustine. FC! 8/77. (FC).
Intertidal flats, N. Davis Shores, St. Augustine. FC! 7/3/78. (FC,HL).
O. mutica and O. pusilla are closely related and variable species. Certain
color forms create an uncanny interspecific resemblance, but O. pusilla usually
has a darker brown tint to the columella and inner aperture. Furthermore, it is
smaller, more slender, less callused at the shoulder, has a less denticulate
posterior columella, smaller protoconch, and different egg capsule morphology
(Perry and Schwengel, 1955; Payne, 1962). Rather scarce in E. FL, [St. Lucie
and Palm Beach Cos. (HL)], but abundant and widespread the state’s Gulf coast.
Sinistral specimen from Port St. Joe, FL. (HL).

As you can see, this species has not been found in northeast Florida since the
late Fred Chauvin (FC) collected it in the 1970's. Fred was a very keen and
careful collector. My St. Lucie Co. record is based on a specimen collected by
L. R. Zylman intertidally at St. Lucie Inlet in 7/87.

In the Historical Era, St. Augustine has been host to an occasional northern
straggler. The eminent C. W. Johnson (1890; 1919) reported finding the tropical
species Nerita peloronta Linnaeus, 1758 (Bleeding-tooth Nerite) and N.
versicolor Gmelin, 1791 there during the 1880’s and in 1919, but we know of
know of no subsequent records despite Fred Chauvin's yeoman work. It is
possible that the latter is a misidentification of N. fulgurans, which lives
close by today, but there is no mistaking the Bleeding-tooth Nerite. Henry
Russell (1941) reported N. tessellata Gmelin, 1791 from Jacksonville, but that
record must be viewed with skepticism.

Harry

Harry G. Lee, M. D.
4132 Ortega Forest Dr.