From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carl Mehling
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 9:37 AM
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Paleonet: Known First as Fossils - Clarification

Hi All,
Some have suggested that I look into “living fossils.” The examples I am looking for are not necessarily “living fossils.” To me, that term describes taxa whose lineages have an extremely long geological records and which persist today in basically the same form. This would be things like Latimeria, cockroaches, Lingula, lycopods, etc. But I am only looking for taxa that were first known as fossils and then were subsequently found extant. This would include things like the XXX known from 4 million year old fossils and then later found alive today, as well as things like coelacanths, but not things like horseshoe crabs. I also wouldn’t consider the XXX a “living fossil” because of its relatively recent oldest fossil occurrence.
Best,
Carl

Carl Mehling
Fossil Amphibian, Reptile, and Bird Collections
Division of Paleontology
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West @79th Street
New York, NY  10024