Would the sodium bicarbonate react with acids in the air or would it effectively only neutralize the one spot where it is?  If the air does not circulate in the drawer a fine layer of acid may be deposited everywhere.

Allen Aigen

-- [log in to unmask] wrote:
Chris,

Birch is a wood that is relatively non-acidic so it would be a safer
choice than oak (highly acidic). Allowing for ventilation would help
prevent the buildup of volatile organic compounds such as formic and
acetic acids. The silica gel would help absorb excess moisture thereby
lessening the risk of Bynesian Decay. Don't forget that silica gel can
become "saturated" with water and needs to be replaced or regenerated
periodically. Not sure where the sodium bicarbonate comes into play except
possibly as a deodorizer. Sounds like you have a nice set-up.

> I have watched for signs of Bynes on the specimens in my several birch
> cabinets, but after 14 years I have yet to see any problems. Perhaps it
> has helped that each drawer allows for some ventilation? Each drawer also
> contains packets of silicon dioxide and a small container of baking
> soda...opinions on this?
>
>   Chris Burgoyne, lurker

Regards,
Charlie
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine