-------------- Original message from marlo <[log in to unmask]>: --------------

Second post:

Here is the code that I believe represents “responsible shell collecting.”

1.  Collect for the sake of knowledge, facilitating science-oriented knowledge, sharing knowledge and sharing what is collected.

2.  Collect for representation of a species and not simply for the biggest, best, most.

3.  Collect live material only in limited numbers, only when known to be very plentiful, only from artificial habitats where they would not otherwise exist, or in circumstances where the certainty is high they will die or be destroyed in the very near future.

4.  Never collect species from areas where they are scarce.

5.  Carefully examine all live-collected material and leave in place any specimens you will not actually use in accordance with #1.

6.  Never collect shells to trade or give away unless for a source you know will use them in accordance with #1.

7.  Don’t collect or buy it to simply complete checklists and/or it will only end up stored until someday trashed or disposed of by unknowledgeable relatives.

8.  If you do collect be sure the collection is documented, inventoried and provision has been made for it to pass on to another responsible collector or a museum.

9.  This is the one that will get me in trouble.  Don’t collect for the purpose of joining a social club or to win ribbons and trophies at shell shows.  If this is your main interest, choose a collecting hobby that doesn't destroy habitat and kill wildlife.

10.  Don’t buy shells from anyone except dealers who deal only in specimen shells and preferable are collectors themselves.

#10 was the most difficult to establish.  This guideline is the simplest approach I can think of that allows acquiring shells one cannot self-collect, but which would so limit demand as to permit commercial success only to the few most responsible dealers with a true affection and concern for the long-term welfare of the shell resource.

If #1 is adopted as the principal objective of shell collecting and the balance of the conservation-minded codes are followed, then, with the availability of the internet, there really is no need for “shell clubs.”  World-wide and focused, local area “communities of common interest” in shells can interact on a real-time basis on the internet and be far more effective in sharing information and of assistance to each other.  This would be particularly true for younger enthusiasts more familiar with, receptive to, and adaptable to computers and internet communication.  Conch-L (to a minor degree), the many shell-related websites, and particularly the interactive, forum-based sites like Seashell Collector.com and Let’s Talk Seashells provide a far superior basis for sharing the wonders of shells, knowledge sharing, obtaining assistance, and collaboration.  Unfortunately, too many of the “older” collectors have not take n to the internet or taken the time to understand the full capabilities available and participate online.  Collecting (of anything) for the sake of knowledge, expanding knowledge, sharing knowledge, and facilitating others’ researches requires hard work, commitment, the initiative to share (that’s share, not “show”), and to contribute, without the expectation of reward.  Not why most collect shells and why I believe the decline of the hobby is not bad.

Marlo

merritt island, fl

Marlo,

This is a great list that I will share with a friend whom I have a running discussion with at this point about conservation concerns of shell collecting. He has a passing iterest in modern mollusks and is very concerned about damaging natural ecosystems by taking or buying shells for his collection.

The aspect of shell clubs should be tempored in my opinion.

Yes, shell clubs have their social and other features (and members) that are not strictly supportive to the strict scientific study of and conservation of mollusks yet they serve an important purpose. That is by energizing their members. Humans are social creatures thus sharing passion and interest with one another is a natural thing to do. Shells is one example of those passions. Using the internet to interact has its definite merit but face to face time with others of like interest is very important and should be supplemented by, not replaced by electronic media.

I do not know if I speak for others on this but it is my experience. Clubs are not for everyone but I feel very energized after a shell show or other gathering of shell people. It is an energy complimentary to remote interaction.  It is positive to my passion and pursuit of the study of mollusks.

John Timmerman

Wilmington, North Carolina