That is an age old hunting credo. Never let the edible parts go to waste. If you get a trophy deer and place the antlers over the mantle few take issue with you as long as the venison fed someone. My grandfather's rule was if you shoot it, you eat it. My mother and her brother (when they were teenagers) shot a harbor seal but never shot a second one. Mom said it was not a good eating animal which their father did require they eat.

Crayfish, lobsters, fish, scallops are all headed to the dinner table so no one minds divers taking them.  I recall a thread on conch-l about eating mollusks. Maybe add that they (fill in the blank of your favorite gastropod) are actually pretty good to eat "but not as good as eagle."

That last part is a joke...likely won't help your premise of why it is Ok to keep the shell.

John Timmerman

Wilmington, North Carolina

-------------- Original message from "Martin H. Eastburn" <[log in to unmask]>: --------------