Before the Europeans came, eastern U.S. was almost entirely forested. And
most land snails were forest snails. After the forests cleared, most of
those species could not survive on open fields. If you want to find snails,
you need to search for them in forests. In limestone forests one can find
lots of snails easily especially during rainy weather.

Also, the common & abundant snails in Bosnia-Herzegovina and Croatia may be
introduced species, like the ubiquitous Cernuella virgata, Helix aspersa,
etc. It is better that we don't have them here.

Aydin
snailstales.blogspot.com

PS: Sorry about the previous post. It got sent before I had written anything.