February 5, 2013

Dear members of the Ciliate Molecular Biology Community,

         As most of you are aware, the Tetrahymena Research Advisory Board (TetTRA) put out a request in December for participation in a community-wide annotation project of the Tetrahymena genome database (see below).  Strong participation in this wiki-based annotation effort will improve the search capabilities of the database, and will strengthen the upcoming Tetrahymena Stock Center grant renewal, which is the sole source of funding for TGD.   Prior to opening up TGD for community annotation, only 600 genes had been assigned definitive names (i.e. btu1).  As of early January, the community-based annotation effort added 150 new gene names.   Our goal is todouble the gene names from 600 to 1200 by early March, and get the number to 2000 by the Ciliate Molecular Biology Conference this summer.

To facilitate gene naming, TGD is currently being reconfigured to accept both 3 letter and 4 letter names.  Please participate in this worthy project.

         A quick primer for gene identification can be found on the front page of Tetrahymena Genome Database (http://ciliate.org/index.php/home/welcome), along with information on a convenient optional way to store your bioinformatic searches for gene naming assignments and make them available to the community (Supra DB).

Thanks again for your help in annotating gene and published papers in TGD.

Jeff Kapler