Dear Colleagues,

We are looking to a recruit a new PhD student (fully-funded for 3.5 years, open to all candidates) to our group at the University of Manchester (www.ag-water.weebly.com). The project will focus on evaluating and developing data-driven tools for precision farm management in smallholder environments through integration of process-based crop modelling, advanced data analytics, and farm-level agronomic and socio-economic data stacks. The project will be focused specifically on irrigation management under climate uncertainty, incuding links to other input use decisions, in agricultural systems in South and/or Southeast Asia.

The position is part of the University of Manchester and University of Melbourne dual-award PhD programme. The selected student will be based in Manchester, UK, and will also undertake a 12-month visit to the University of Melbourne in Australia to work with leading experts in fertiliser management, agricultural data informatics and sensing. There will be the opportunities and funding to enable you to collaborate with and visit partners in South and Southeast Asia, including in the CGIAR, state and national government agencies, and private sector agri-businesses as part of the design and implementation of the research. For further information about the project and formal application process please see the attached advert. For informal enquiries about the project and/or application process, please get in touch via email ([log in to unmask]). Deadline for full applications is 14 March 2022, and the PhD is expected to start in September 2022.

In addition, we have a further parallel PhD studentship opportunity available at the University of Melbourne (also fully funded for 3.5 years) focused on improvement of agricultural nitrogen estimation to support sustainable crop intensification: https://research.unimelb.edu.au/research-at-melbourne/melbourne-and-manchester-graduate-research-group/joint-phd-opportunities/advancing-agricultural-nitrogen-estimation-with-hybrid-data-driven-machine-learning-and-physical-modelling-to-support-sustainable-intensification. This project is led by Dr Shu Kee Lam at Melbourne, and will involve a 12-month visit to our group at the University of Manchester and extensive opportunities to collaborate with the project described above. Candidates are encouraged to contact Dr Lam for further information about this project and how to apply ([log in to unmask]

Tim Foster

Tim Foster, PhD
Senior Lecturer in Water-Food Security
Department of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering
Room B14 | Pariser Building |
The University of Manchester | Sackville Street | M13 9PL
p: +44(0)161-275-4411
Group webpage : http://www.fosterlab.weebly.com
AquaCrop-OS : http://www.aquacropos.com

**My working days are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. If your email arrives outside these days then I will reply as soon as possible when I’m back at work**