Thanks for this advice. I did find an additional AMS guidebook on symbology:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015014628070&seq=5

And on the first page, there are two charts that show the levels of importance for place names. The first chart is for places in the US, and the levels are divided by population thresholds. The second chart has place names for foreign areas - there are no thresholds, but there is a footnote that says "Where feasible, populated places will be classified according to available population data." So ultimately, I'm hoping to find documentation on these levels from the French army mapping agency, Service Geographique de L'Arme.

Best - Frank