From: Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of John
Timmerman
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2024 12:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CONCH-L] self-collected

I was recently asked for a definition of a self-collected shell(s). At the
moment I defined "self-collected" as a specimen recovered directly or
indirectly from the environment in which it occurred either by direct
picking by hand and or operating or participation in the operation of
equipment such a dredge, to bring it into hand.

Purchasing, a gift or trade of shells from another collector or business is
not self-collected.

In pondering the definition, it appears my definition may be inaccurate.

Examples

I have long considered fossils personally collected at commercial strip
mines as self-collected. Collecting at such sites sometimes involves
removing the fossil directly from undisturbed sediments but more frequently
from highly disturbed "spoils" cast aside by the mining operation. Is this
truly self-collecting or scavenging off of cast-off "trash?" Collecting such
sites is collecting directly in context of where the specimens occurred
compared to collecting specimens from the "product" material such as a road
elsewhere.

If I find a shell in a road where fill was brought in from for example, a
commercial sea scallop boat as I once experienced at Ocracoke, North
Carolina, is that self-collected or more along the line of scavenging. The
exact source location the material was fished was unknown other than
concluding it was somewhere in the range of Placopecten magellanica as that
was the majority of the shell content.

When a beach is renourished, shells and fossils often become available that
were not before. Is picking up that material self-collected? I regard
picking up shells from an undisturbed beach as self-collected. Is there a
difference?

Years ago, I visited a scallop dump and came home with some banded tulips
that still hold position of pride in my cabinets. Did I self-collect those
shells? They were pretty much ignored by other people. As they came from a
trash dump were they not really collected by me but scavenged from
collecting someone else did by proxy in that they were after other things
and accidentally caught what I found once they threw it away?

Some collecting could certainly be considered scavenging.

Picking up a dead shell from a beach is scavenging the remains of a formerly
living mollusk. The shell is out of context from the original habitat of
where the mollusk lived and may have been moved considerable distance from
where it lived by ocean currents and wave action. I regard that as
self-collected.

These are a few of the musings I have on the definition. All input, opinion
is invited and welcome.

John Timmerman

[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  - a forum for
informal discussions on molluscs To leave this list, click on the following
web link: http://listserv.uga.edu/scripts/wa-UGA.exe?SUBED1=conch-l-L
<http://listserv.uga.edu/scripts/wa-UGA.exe?SUBED1=conch-l-L&A=1> &A=1 Type
your email address and name in the appropriate box and click leave the list.

http://listserv.uga.edu/scripts/wa-UGA.exe?SUBED1=conch-l-L&A=1