From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Karina Wilhelm <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, April 5, 2024 1:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Digitizing maps

Some people who received this message don't often get email from [log in to unmask] Learn why this is important

Hello all,

I am starting to digitize large format materials. I have a camera set up with lights and a tether to the computer. The previous archivist also purchased Capture One software so I can control the camera from the computer.

I’m running into a few issues.

  1. I have lots of maps on semi transparent paper. I think I’ve figured out that I need a white board behind them. Does anyone have any other suggestions for photographing maps on thin paper?
  2. When I turn on the lights from the four side lights, the image looks very washed out. I’m sure there are settings on the camera to correct for this but I really don’t know what they are. I know the lights are necessary for even lighting but I’m not sure how to get a good image.
  3. I need weights to hold down some of the bent/rolled/folded maps. Any suggestions on what I should use? I was looking at book snake weights but I don’t know how heavy they need to be to hold some of the maps that are more curled and stubborn.

Here’s a picture of my temporary setup (I didn’t have the lights fully positioned or turned on here and I’m using  part of a white box for the backing for the thin map- but hey, we work with what we have!).

If anyone has experience working with digitization, I could really use some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Karina

Karina Wilhelm

Archivist

SHESC Center for Archaeology and Society Repository

Arizona State University

email: [log in to unmask]